Parts for Fiat Aifo 806 overhaul - 125hp

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by xaliba, Jun 13, 2018.

1. xaliba

xaliba Junior Member

Hello,

searching the forum I was not able to find any info on what I need and decided to open this new thread to ask for help.

My old Fiat Aifo 806 diesel engine is 14.000 hours old now and need to go through its first overhaul. Trouble is I have not been able to find parts even after having called companies, shops, mechanics in quite a few different countries....iveco won't help, ftp won't help, google has very restricted hits and i'm running out of options. Much appreciate if anyone could help me find leads so I don't have to replace the engine.

thank you so much!!!

2. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

3. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

What parts do you need?

4. xaliba

xaliba Junior Member

yes, fiat was taken over by ftp/iveco but the numbers available on the net for those companies resulted in dead ends....maybe because the phones are for sales who are not gonna get any comission out of tracking parts down.

the parts are still uncertain since the idea is to open the engine first and then make the list but before i make sure i have a source with the basics i cannot start with the job, but basically the bushings for the moving parts and sleeves are something which should be a certain thing. I have the engine manual and the whole of the parts list but no leads whatsoever on possible sources for the parts.

thanks for replying guys!!!

5. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Not much in the western hemisphere other than spare engines. Marline Marine in the UK claims to be the "leading supplier" of FPT/Iveco marine engine parts. That means you'll probably pay international shipping, but at least you'll get the parts. Zap them an email (sales@marlinmarine.co.uk) or contact them via their web site. Good luck!

Marlin Marine | Parts http://www.marlinmarine.co.uk/Parts.php

6. xaliba

xaliba Junior Member

Hi Joseph, thank you again for replying. The link on your first reply shows an iveco engine very similar to mine but with slightly different piston measurments, but will investigate further with maesco. Glad you found an option in the UK as well. Since i'm currently in Uruguay it does not make much of a difference from which country the parts come and with all the big shortage of option i'll be very glad if i can find the parts at all hehe. I'll investigate further first thing tomorrow again.

thank you so much again for taking the trouble to help me!!

7. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

You're welcome xaliba. Looking at Maesco they appear to mainly be an engine distributor. I think Marline Marine in the UK might be your best option for parts. Definitely reach out to both though. Cheers & good luck on your project!

8. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

Ok, makes sense. Seems the main concern is basic engine parts, not specifically those belonging to the marine version. Then you should be able to find help for spares at the Iveco truck workshops, as long as you can id the correct dimensions for bearings, piston rings aso.

Here, I use a similar engine (unblown, 160 hp/2900 rpm, marinized truck engine) in our workboat; one of the best engines i've ever had!

9. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Just before starting this new thread the OP also posted the same question on an older Fiat Aifo thread, from post #15 and onwards the older thread runs now kinda parallel with this new one.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    JosephT likes this.
  10. Lepke

Lepke Junior Member

If the engine was widely used in cars, engine rebuilders, usually one in every big town, have access to after market parts makers not marketed to the public. Probably more than half of the engine parts made in the world are made in China. In the past I found internal parts for WWII engines and earlier. Also racing equipment manufacturers make custom pistons, bearings, rings and so on. Restoration people can make seals and rubber parts for engines over 100 years old. Also if that engine was used in tractors or industrial equipment, parts will be available in that industry. Online parts from Italy might be a place to start.

11. Angélique

The topic engine here was world wide widely used in trucks, tractors, industrial equipment, gensets, boats and ships propulsion for commercial and leisure use, etc, etc..

Fiat also has a large production plant in the Ferreyra district in the city of Córdoba in Argentina since the early 1950's, which at the time of this engine among others produced many Fiat trucks and tractors for South America, so the basic engine is (or at least was) very common there.

In the other thread in post #21 & 22 there's a rebuild of the same unblown Fiat Aifo 806 maranized engine, which was since 1973 running the ship without having any problems ever, and therefore was never touched before, nowhere in the linked info (all in Dutch) it says anything about problems getting spare parts for the rebuild of the engine, so I assume that wasn't a problem at all, the forum links there also show many pictures of the rebuild.

Maybe Charlie now has the info what he wants, and so doesn't show up here anymore . . ?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018

12. Angélique

Fiat Concord Argentina, below some of the products from the Fiat plant in Córdoba, Argentina...

[​IMG]

1965 ad​
    [​IMG]

1969 bus chassis​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1970 ad​
    [​IMG]

1974 truck​
    [​IMG]

2 × 1976 truck​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1976 tractor​
    [​IMG]

They also made a lot of Fiat passenger cars in Córdoba in Argentina, and still do so . . .

1961 car​
    [​IMG]

Below a 2017 car that's still being built in the Fiat plant in Cordoba in Argentina...

[​IMG]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since the mid 1970's Fiat also has a large Brazilian plant in the Greater Belo Horizonte city of Betim: ‘‘Fiat's largest factory, which opened in 1976’’

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So my thought is there must be an abundance of all Fiat engine spare parts all over South America, as well parts supply by after market part makers for those engines, especially for the very durable (truck / tractor / industrial / ship) diesel engines, and all parts also can be found as per Lepke's post #10.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.