Manoeuvring Assessment

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by Mitch1990, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Mitch1990

Mitch1990 Junior Member

Hi,
    I have been tasked with an "Advanced Manoeuvring Analysis" as part of a ship design course. It is a higher level course whereby the main aim is to iterate through the design spiral.

My understanding of a Manoeuvring Analysis would be to use find hydrodynamic coefficients using empirical formulas, then using a 3dof system simulate a zig-zag test. I am happy with finding the expected propulsion force but am not sure on yawing moment generated by the rudder.

My thoughts would be to pick a foil shape and find the lift and drag forces at different AoA to determine the yawing moment? Is there any other way?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.