Resins and their fans

Discussion in 'Materials' started by gonzo, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Never tried it... I tend not to inhale if polyester (or anything) is burning.

2. susho

susho Composite builder

my dentist grinded my fillings, it smelled like epoxy :p (smoke coming out of my mouth, lol )

For some applications I like epoxy, for others I like pe or ve.
    When I build a part I tend to choose the best resin for the job, like I do with fibres, cores, and production methods

:)

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I love the smell of polyester, and when it cures as Herman said styrene oxide smells like almond. I've never seen a polyester resin boat break, and if it floats I'll vote for it :D

4. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Yikes!! :eek:

When chemical smell like bananas or almonds or other smells like that, it's usually a benzene based compound like this one:

http://www.answers.com/topic/benzaldehyde

Benzene, itself is a known carcinogen. You should really limit your exposure to anything that smells like almonds or has a sweet smell while working with hard chemicals. :!:

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Aye catbuilder,

You're not supposed to sniff the stuff. Build boats with it, not get high on it :D