Resin trap with T-connector?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by bjn, Jan 18, 2017.

1. bjn

bjn Senior Member

Hello,

I'm looking at buying a vacuum chamber. Most of the ones I find has a T-joint with two ball-valves on top.

Like this design sold on eBay Germany:
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/3-5CFM-1720R...723453?hash=item21114609bd:g:Ob4AAOSwIgNXp-Sx

Similar one in the US
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vacuum-Resin-Trap-Catch-Pot-Stainless-Steel-2-Quart-/111823409916

I guess that works for degassing resin. But I intend to use it as a resin trap with a catchpot inside.

How can these chambers with a T-joint save the vacuum pump in case resin flows into the T-joint?

I feel that the lid has to have separate connections for the hose to the pump and the hose from the vacuum bag, doesn't it? But I can't find that design on the German eBay.

2. fly186

fly186 Junior Member

3. bjn

bjn Senior Member

Thank you for the confirmation!
    Building my own is an option. A good one. I always wanted to do that before, but I don't have much spare time for these things at the moment.

Nice pdf! Full of good info.

4. ebnelson

ebnelson Junior Member

That looks like more of a vacuum accumulator. The vacuum gage would not be happy with resin in it. The traps my co-workers use have the hoses go directly into the vessel where the holes can be drilled out after the resin kicks.

5. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

A very simple one is a 4 inch pvc with a cross T on top. The 2 horizontals are used for pulling vacuum on your part. The remaining vertical can go to a another cross T. One of the horizontals goes to the vac pump, the other to a bleed valve and the remaining vertical to a vacuum gauge. i did this with a 36" tall pvc and it sufficed for enough infusions to build an entire 22' boat.