Useful catalyst measures - check and see if this is ok just for starters

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by tunnels, Aug 17, 2012.

1. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

You ought to rename this thread to something easy to spot - like "Useful Catalyst measures" .

On a side note, I seem to remember you saying somewhere that you hated MEKP in your shop.

I meant to ask then, if it was because of the terrible smell ?

I did a small Vynilester job a while back, and I was almost sick from the odour.

Is there another catalyst for Vynilester that isn't as unpleasant as MEKP that you prefer ?

3. Herman

Herman Senior Member

MEKP has a bit of smell, but not too bad. It is not a very obvious smell, and the polyester of vinylester overwhelming smell hides whatever smell if left of the MEKP. Wonder what stuff they gave you.

MEKP is a big fire hazard, and my guesstimate is that out of 4 polyester shop fires, 3 are caused by peroxides. Most dangerous are spills, especially on combustible materials (wood) where fire can start even 12 hours after the spill occured (and when everyone has gone....)

And indeed rename the thread into something descriptive. We have enough threads named "my boat" or "help me"

4. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

<added "Useful catalyst measures" to the thread title now so it's more identifiable>

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Thanks Herman. It must have been the vinylester then. I can handle polyester , but the small job in VE was just 'orrible.

I will get rid of the MEKP tomorrow, as it is near wood shavings, and i wont be using it for the foreseeable future.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.