acrylic laquer thinner or just laquer thinner

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by sunbelt57, Aug 19, 2011.

1. sunbelt57

sunbelt57 Junior Member

I'm making a plug for my mold and I want to buy some acrylic lacquer thinner to thin out my Duratec sandable primer. All I can find in the local hardware store and the nearest HD is just labeled lacquer thinner. I take it that's different from acrylic lacquer thinner? Or is it the same thing? If not, can I get away with substituting lacquer thinner for ALT?

2. sunbelt57

sunbelt57 Junior Member

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A plug is one of the most important parts of boatbuilding. If it is not done rigth, every effort you put will be wasted. It is not a good place to go cheap.

4. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Acrylic lacquer thinner should contain at least 2 percent N-HEXANE, 50 percent TOLUOL, 15 percent METHANOL, 5 percent ACETONE. This is not necessarily a top quality Acrylic thinner but is reasonably priced.

5. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

I've used Duratec Sealer/Grey primer & Gloss black in the past for plug surfacing, the thinner is strait MEK here from their literature......... Catalyze at 2 percent with mekP catalyst (20 cc per quart). The primer can be thinned up to 10 percent if necessary to achieve a fine spray. Thin with Duratec Thinner or Methyl Ethyl Ketone solvent after catalyzation.
    Regards from Jeff. http://www.duratec1.com/Trouble Shooting Guide/Polyester Surfacing Primer TSG.pdf

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.