resetting sole

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by micag, Jul 8, 2006.

1. micag

micag New Member

I cut the sole out to repair stringers etc. There was coarse sawdust filler glueing it down. Mostly failed. Should I use similar( with epoxy) or is there a better way. 21 Romany Fisherman 1969

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi micag,
    If the old stuff was mostly failed, then redoing it the same way will probably lead to another failure. Some photos of the old structure might help everyone here to evaluate your problem and find a better solution. Do you have any you could post?

3. micag

micag New Member

more info

I think the problem was two fold, the upright plywood stringers were broken from the tabs attached to the hull, and the bedding compound had broken from the sole. I reglued all of the broken free tabs with epoxy.
    Also the stringers running the length under the sole were poorly fiberglassed, leaving the area above them weak, causing crunchy walking directly above the stringers. I remedied that problem by turning the sole upside down and pumping expoxy resin in all the voids running along side the stringers.
    I am ready to reinstall the sole and need to reattach it to the top of the stringers.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.