Standards!!

Discussion in 'Education' started by mallia.s, Oct 6, 2009.

1. mallia.s

mallia.s Junior Member

Good day all

I am undergoing a thesis to evaluate the characteristics of a fishing boat hull and need to get hold of some standards. Has anyone got any link for free ISO standards? The one I particularly need is:

ISO 12217-1:2002, Small craft – Stability and buoyancy assessment and categorisation – Part 1: Non-sailing boats of hull length greater than or equal
    to 6m

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Steve :D

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you are going to work in Naval design, you should probably buy all these standards as reference. They are copyrighted.

3. welder/fitter

welder/fitter Senior Member

Unless you know someone who has them, you can't get them for free. Save yourself the internet search it just won't happen.(Been there, done that!) I ended up getting access to them at work.

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

If you are doing a thesis, I assume this is part of a University course? If so, all these "standrads" you can get from your Uni library. If they don't have them, they can get them for you, or should be able to.

If it doesn't have them...poor library, if they teach naval architecture!

5. mallia.s

mallia.s Junior Member

Yes it is part of a University course. Although I must say that naval architecture is a new module, just started last year. The library does not have such standards. That is why I asked you guys and gave it a try.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

6. Jenny Giles

Jenny Giles Perpetual Student

If they do not have the books and standards, ask the librarians if they are able to get them on inter-library transfers.
    Crazy plan, but it just might work.

7. mallia.s

mallia.s Junior Member

Ill give that a try!

Thanks!

8. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

There is a scheme for libraries where they can have a 'licence' to view all the ISO standards on-line (not just the boat ones). Included in the 'terms and conditions' is the right to print a certain number of pages (per day?). Prompt your university (or even National Library) to get themselves organised!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.