rescue boat desing project needed help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by AUNG SAN TINT, Aug 17, 2008.

1. AUNG SAN TINT

AUNG SAN TINT Junior Member

I am making a final year project about "rescue boat" . But I dont know how to start . I need a guiedline and the people who can help me to lead me. Thanks for everything!
    aungsanntint@gmail.com is my mail and you can give me some suggestion using this mail.
    thanks again:!:

2. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

As a general information, a rescue boat must comply with the rules/ regulations in the SOLAS. I can locate the chapters later. (MSC 48(66) and....??? this non stick brain tissue....) In addition to that the National authorities normally have some additional requirements.... So.....

What kind of rescue boat?

Water jet, propeller, fast, slow, inboard, outboard..... No of persons intended to drag out of the water.... etc....:) Lotsa fun stuff to consider....

3. AUNG SAN TINT

hi

I am very happy for your reply
    I am now in two choose. RIB or Fast Rescue Boat without Inflatable tube.
    I will use the propeller propulsion and speed is about 35 knots and length is about 15 m.
    But these all are my thoughts and I dont know where can I get the information and How can I establish my project. I havent done anything. But my due is October second week.
    Pls help me something.

4. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

So, narrowed down a bit then...? Due october, second week? u know that u have some problem with time here? As a student, you also should know to manage your time so that you can go for a beer....:p

RIB as a FRP or a GRP hull as a FRB (FRB = Fast rescue boat).
    To tell the truth, I personally dont't like RIB's (there are exeptions, of course :rolleyes: ). The thought of the use for FRB, dark, temperature changes, warm/ cold, hard inflated/ soft inflated, floating wreckage... to me it pretty much excludes the RIB for this use. One I know described his boat closing over him as a folding knife, going ashore on Jan Mayen, wintertime to pick up a person with trouble with the appendix(?), he's not an awerage boatman though... Also a softly inflated RIB, may "stick" to the ship's side when lowering into the water, on the other hand.... If the person responsible for the check/ maintanance of the RIB, is the same person operating it, you have a strong motivation factor there....

GRP hull, with added flotation foam, will take whatever beating you give to it, almost... Just check stupid commersials for boston whalers boats (google machine gun boston whaler or something).

Proppeller need personell protection, for people in the water, usually a ring attached to the cavitation plate and the fin, that is, if you go for an outboard engine solution, personell protection is needed for inboards also....

The boat shall be designed for 5 persons seated, one additional on a stretcher- minimum.

Fire "resistant" GRP(?).

Length minimum 3,8 m, max 8,5, max length is to make sure you have a manouverable rescue boat.... so 15 m will hardly be accepted.

Speed minimum 6 knot, fully loaded, for at least 4 hours (fuel requirement).

And tow the max sized, fully loaded liferaft (on the actual ship this boat is intended for) with a minimum speed of 2 knots.

It should be possible to easily pull a man inboard, still steering....

2 men in the water shall be able to righten/ restart an inverted rescue boat.
    (Inflateble CO2 "tank" on a frame, or a fixed tank, or excessive volume in a engine hatch/ roof...). Soooo; the engine must be equipped with a flipover engine cut switch, or whatever you like to call it. This again means a real self bailing cockpit....

Some national authorities have additional requirements, keel angle 20° (to make it better in the seas, this makes it heavier to push.... But this can be omitted, go for 15° or something. A long outboard will take more beating in the sideways stroke test, and may not survive. Outboard needs to be certified for this use ("wheel marked"), well, any engine will need that certificate....

Adequate sheer, or a bow cover, extending at least 15 % of the total boat length.

Storage room for equipment in accordance to the regulations, flares, blankets, lights, knives, water, etc...

It shall be operatable, engine tiller may be used.

It shall, fully loaded, take a drop test and a sideways stroke test, these are the fun part.... It shall be operatable, still be able to transport the designed no of people, a good built boat wreck will do that, a badly built one will not....

It will need a painter hook, and release. A lifting hook, and release. Go for a Henriksen hook, they're pretty ok, and not too heavy, for the rightening test, keep the high up weights a low as possible. Not known to clip fingers either...

The rules and regulations you will need to cope with are; MSC 48(66) for design, and MSC 81(70) for testing. Additional info/ requiremennts for FRB (as in FAST rescue boat) is probably in the IMO/ MSC Circ 809 (a bit uncertain there, at the moment, large scale garage investigations/digging needed, and only a minor hope for success, so I'll skip it, something of the digging should be left to you).

As a start, this should keep you busy....:p

Now, get on with it!:p

5. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Forgot seating space....
    Just to pull some legs here......:p

Europeean/IMO requirements are an *** diameter for the seating space 430 mm.
    Americans requirements "recently" are an *** diameter for the seating space 520 mm....

Using only a minor part of our brain, we can deduct that Americans are the biggest as........s....

:p :p :p

been quiet in here for some time now....;)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  6. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

7. AUNG SAN TINT

:)

I am very thank you for you suggestion!
    In effect I am not very good in english and your words make me to take some times to think carefully.
    I think that you are thinking that I am making a project about the liferaft. I am not at that
    In Myanmar,our country, there was a great disaster of "Nargis" and many lifes are lost. I think that most of the people are dead becasuse they couldnt get the help as quickly as possible. sooo i have decided to make a rescue vessel design project in my final year.
    My decision is to carry the people as much as possible, about 26 people once a time, and at not very slow speed. So I have chosen the 15 mvessel. I dont wish to make the liferaft. But your suggestion makes me so many thoughts.
    Now I am trying to get the hull form using the Autoship software. I think that I am not good but I will try as muxh as I can.
    I am not online during these days for my mom was sent to the hospital because she got the very high blood pressure and the leakage of blood from the nervous capillaries. Now she is at home back but the left part of her body cant be moved.
    I have no very good knowledge so I cant understand the all words which you suggested. But I will try to understans them and I will try to get .
    Thank you very much

8. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Ok, I was not thinking that you were making a raft. :D

But to get a rescue boat certified in accordance to the SOLAS requirements as a rescue boat, one of the requirements, is that it shall be able to tow a liferaft, at a minimum speed of 2 knots.

If you scroll down the requirements that i linked to, you will find requirements for a rescue boat. (and some other rescue equipment). Edit; page 17/ 18. ( http://plau.homepage.dk/MSC-circ 809.doc )

Nargis was a cyclone/hurricane?
    So the boat to cope with that, should be a waterjet, as in a situation like that, there will be a lot of debris in the water also, and propellers; do not like that, the personell guard needed, will help some.

Ok, so a rescue boat with a waterjet or an outboard (outboard can be tilted to clear out rubbish from the propeller).

And debris in the water, lots of it, will also to some extent rule out inflateble rescue boats (but who want those anyway?)

9. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Hmmmm

AM I THE ONLY PERSON WITH MEANINGS WITH REGARD TO RESCUE BOATS?

sorry for screamin' just want to wake up some of the zzlleeeeepers here...:p

Should we put down some suggestions?

10. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Knut sand this subject has been gone over and over here. He should do a search on Coast Guard Rescue boats, rescue boats, and so on.

K9

11. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

12. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Kay9, I am sorry, if I have understood this thread differently.
    However I tend to differ between lifeboats and rescue boats (and also fast rescue boats). Some lifeboats may have the ability to act as a rescue boat, however that's not normally quite like I see it. In the threads you pointed to, there are mentioned rescue boats of lengths far more than the SOLAS regulations are open to accept, as agility, manouverability on a larger boat may cause the boat to pass/ miss an observed person in the water.

However all types of any boat may in a correct situation for that actual boat, act as a rescue boat, no matter how small or how big.... It will just not fit the rules, (and some of them (not all) make even some sense). Should also add that SAR vessels have other rules to comply with, and they are bigger, more like what Kay9 here points to in the above threads, they can normally facilitate the crew on board for days, but I would hesitate to run one of them into an area with waves, currents and plenty debris. Also, personally, if I were to be picked up from the water I would prefer a smaller boat to pick me up, not a fishing vessel size of thing.... Unless it came first/ noone else around... Personally I have only experienced a smaller rescue boat.... That worked ok.... Water was not too hot, so we deceided to be not too picky, even it it had no bar/ fireplace.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  13. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Well...that don't relax me too much, I remember that the USCG accepted flat bottomed boats to serve as rescue boats - offshore, hopefully they have improved their rules.....

However in an area with plenty debris, a flat bottom boat does make some sense, just not enough...:D

(ehmmm, also it shall survive a drop test.....).

14. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Knut Sand I do think your getting confused the 47 and 44 foot Motor Life Boat is a life boat in name only and out of tradition. It is really better termed a surf boat, in that it can safely go into heavy breaking surf, safly prosecute a rescue of a swimmer in the water and return with limited danger to the crew.

Since you guys dont seem to want to waste your time actually doing the search I recommend here is a link to some of the specs on this very proven design:
    http://www.uscg.mil/international/47ft.asp

K9

15. AUNG SAN TINT

thnks

Dear Knut and Kay9,
    thnks so much for your discussions
    the link given by Kay9 is useful to me.
    Now I am trying to get the hull form by using Autoship software.
    it is little diffucult for me but when i finish the hull form I can get the offset table and hydrostatic data .:!:
    Your advices and discussions can help me to know more about the rescue boat.
    Even I cant apply your facts to my project for the difficults of time and for my mom's health, I will study those day by day to know more about the rescue vessel.:)
    Knut- I think that My rescue boat can tow the life boat because My destionation boat is about 43 ft.
    My hull is chine planing hull. I am not sure to get the good one.But I will try my best.
    thanks for all

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.