Forum new layout

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by RHP, Jun 17, 2017.

1. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Guys, I'm struggling with the new forum layout...

I used to log on and press on new posts and simply work my way down.
    The panel on the right side of the main page doesn't show enough info on the posts so I'm starting not to use it so I'm slowly losing interest.

Am I missing a new post button or missing something else?

2. Jolly Amaranto

Jolly Amaranto Junior Member

Try the "New Posts" button on the light blue tool bar at the top on the Forums page. That brings up all new posts since your last visit. Right next to it is "Recent Posts" which will do the same but include post that you already have looked at.

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Yup...seems the baby has been thrown out with the bath water in an attempt to bring the website up to more modern scripts.

All text/layout same contrast, extremely difficult to read what is what when all basically the same colour...text in posts and quotes way way too small...on my mobile phone..can only read the titles, not who's posted it, so half the width is shown...editing posts cannot add pictures easily, easier with a new post, complete change of nomenclature and not consistent...er why??.. and so on and so on..there was nowt wrong with the old format, just the script language perhaps, that's all.

Seems far more effort to do simple things than before....ditto..losing interest if i waste time where previously I did not, merely to post or view.

4. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Very sorry you are having difficulties. The old layout and software was very familiar after using and building on it for 15 years, but it was table based since it originated before css could achieve the same and more, and so was not possible to support a variety of modern devices; the new platform should be a better foundation going forward.

There were a few aspects of the previous software which were more developed after so many years of use and tweaking, but there are many things which the new software should make easier (e.g. I see the issue you raise regarding attachments posted inline when editing as the editor only shows the attachment number until the edit is actually posted (you can add additional images when editing by clicking more options) but at the same time, the new system makes attachments in general work much easier with being able to upload multiple at once, being able to select to insert inline at full size which was not easy before and should be useful when discussing a schematic, the lightbox makes it easier to view a number of attached photos, the new bbcode image system allows the site to load over https which wasn't possible before, bb code images don't stretch a post off the page with the new system which was a common issue before, etc. etc.)

Have noted the issues reported (and brought them to the attention of the software developers where applicable for future improvements.)

One question: when you say "so half the width is shown" can you provide a screen shot of what you mean exactly (or email to webmaster@boatdesign.net)

Thanks.

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

aahh...takes a while to find the "write in here for reply..." because there is next to zero contrast on the webpage to distinguish it from postings....what is so wrong with a thick border or different shade colour to make it obvious where the reply text box is:

Anyway..here is the screen shot from my galaxy android phone...this is all that's shown.

Screenshot_2017-06-18-14-19-48.png

Nothing else...

6. Boat Design Net Moderator

Thank you -- I see, yes on small screens the list only shows the thread title and not the replies/views/last message by/etc.

7. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

I have been wondering what is the thinking behind changing the “gallery”. Most sites I have been on, when you go to the “gallery” you expect to see pictures not necessarily another list of options first up that you have to scroll to the bottom of before you see any pictures. Also I have not noticed the old CAD blocks have gone missing or moved some where else.

8. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Why is the quote above....almost invisible, in terms of contrast against the background colour (and small text), yet the same quote in my email alert is a nice contrasting beige colour to the light blue?

If the contrast is there in the email...why is it not in the actual webpage itself???

Any why does the "recent Posts" location change from when viewing not logged in to when logged it...it goes from the main bar to a separate tab....why??...nonsense??!!

Ive noticed the main titles now have a better contrast...great..thank you. But why not have the same contrast with the page numbers associated with that thread too....can't see if there is just one page or 100 pages, it is "hidden" in the bland background.

As noted above...too many inconsistencies...

9. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Im also curious why I am now getting almost 300 attempts in just one week of "...applications on your PC that tried to log keystrokes while you were entering information to the website (BDForum)..."
    Never had this in the previous version.

BDForum loggin attempts.jpg

10. Boat Design Net Moderator

The message you posted says "applications on your PC that tried to log keystrokes while you were entering information to the websites below have failed" so it probably would be a good idea to run a full virus scan of the computer you're using just to be on the safe side and see if the program you are using has a detailed log that would indicate which application on your PC it logged as trying to log keystrokes.

11. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

I do frequently. And it is constantly active too. Doesn't necessarily mean there is a virus...just means, that there is now a vulnerability which did not exist before when logging on/off.

12. Boat Design Net Moderator

It might be a good idea to scan your computer with another antivirus program. The message you posted:
    seems to indicate that it is seeing some application on your PC is behaving oddly. I don't know if that program would detect a browser trying to remember your password, but you should see if there is a log you can view from that program to see what applications on your PC it actually logged to know if you have an issue.

13. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

I think you're missing the point. Before the changed website, this never occurred. Now the new layout..it does occur.

Spot the change???

14. Boat Design Net Moderator

The new forum login is over https whereas the old forum login was over http. Possibly the program you are using is more sensitive to watching https logins (?), but I think you should look at its detailed log to see what application on your PC it is referring to. Is it the web browser itself, or are there any browser addons or toolbars that may be interacting...

15. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Exactly, there is a subtle change that has occurred from your side.

That would be GC...or the latest update of Rapport. Nothing else is interfering and no other changes. I don't download programs or other stuff on this PC...it is my work PC and no new programs been added for over 1 year, other than updates.

But the bigger point is thus, i have not accessed the website 288 times!

< Posting Images | Reputation points >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.