Repowering a 1977 Angler V-24

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by jpgoodnu, Aug 5, 2005.

1. jpgoodnu

jpgoodnu New Member

Greetings to ALL. I am new to this forum and need some help. I am helping a buddy repower a 1977 Angler V-24(23' 6") fishing rig. It originally had a 235HP unit(OMC?) based on a small block Ford(351?). The engine and outdrive are JUNK,BUT the rest of the unit is in very good condition. I am NOT a fan of usin Fords for Marine use and am leaning towards a Mercruiser 260HP samll block Chevy 350 and matching outdrive. I don't know what will be involved(mounts,exhaust,transom mods,etc). Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanx In Advance, Jay

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Good boat, crappy motor... see this a lot.

The Chev small-block has been used for decades in boats and the Mercruiser variants have a pretty good reputation. It's an old workhorse, a bit thirsty but pretty reliable. (I take it the original drive was a '70s Cobra?) You mention mounts, exhaust, transom shape; all need to be addressed but none should be a big concern. Only if you need to make the cutout smaller, then you should have a good fibreglass shop do that because it's such a high-stress area.

The motor you mention is offered with four different outdrives. The Alpha would probably be the most efficient of the four but it's not as durable as the Bravos. If you're fishing a lot the Bravo 3 would be a good choice for its more precise handling. The B3 has a pretty solid reputation. Also, if the boat's going to be seeing heavy use, take a look at shelling out the extra dough for the 350 Mag MPI Horizon verson of that engine. It's cheaper to run on both fuel and maintenance than the carb version, and puts out 300hp at top end (meaning also that it's less heavily loaded when you're cruising). The weight penalty is only about 28kg (60lb). http://www.mercurymarine.com/5.7l_sd_-_250_hp for more on the motor.

3. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

you my find under hard use that the ford and crysler motors hold up better.

4. jpgoodnu

jpgoodnu New Member

I had a chance today to drive over to where the boat is stored and check it out myself. The ford 351 is out and disassembled and it is indeed a OMC Sterndrive. It is a type I am not familiar with(probably the "Stringer Drive" I was warned about). It has what looks like a automotive Bellhousing inside the hull and the drive passes through a 16x16 hole with a heavy rubber bladder in the transom. That will have to be filled(How?). I was assured by a 30+ year employee of Angler that regardless of which drive type this boat left their factory with,the transom was ALWAYS built the same, so what I was told about a Stringer Drvie boat not having a strong enough transom for a Mercruiser OR Volvo Penta conversion won't apply to this particuliar boat. The transom is 2+ inches thick and the plywood seems rock solid. Any ideas on the PROPER way to Glass in the hole and recut for Mercruiser out drive(probably a Alpha)?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.