repower

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by drwgblanks, Jun 29, 2007.

1. drwgblanks

drwgblanks New Member

Hi, 'nother newb here. Quick loaded question for you all. '77 Aquasport with a mercruiser 120/140 outdrive and a 2.5 gm engine. Can I take my engine and outdrive off of my '97 Bayliner and install it in the older outfit's place? It's a 3.0 liter with alpha 1 gen 2 drive. I was going to take everything out of the Bayliner, plate, gimbal housing, etc... Would this require work to the transom?

2. redtech

redtech Senior Member

yes it's going to require some work on transom not much though

3. drwgblanks

drwgblanks New Member

that was pretty informative, thanks

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ha Ha I understand what you mean. The thing is this kind of thing is not a normal everyday job. It is quite unlikely no one has done this. Personaly having done all sorts of mad crazy stuff I have not done that iether.

The thing is if you are capable of doing a job like that you should also be capable of solving the problems that will come with the job.

It is very unlikey the two motors will be in any way similar.

Suggesting that its a simple matter and just a case of a simple swop is not true, as much as you wanted to hear that.

5. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Don't know about the outdrive, but am resonably sure the Engine Blocks are the same - 64 thru 66 ChevyII. Unless mounts have changed, should drop right in.

Jango

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Well the 120-140 Hp is a four cylinder.

I think a bit more information would help,

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.