replica of rusted out lawn ornament

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by openboater, May 29, 2007.

1. openboater

openboater Junior Member

Over in the park in front of the Canal corporation (NYS Barge Canal) in Lyons ny, there's a rusted out lawn ornament that catches my eye.

Would I be stepping on a (probably dead) designers toes if I built a one-off version of this pretty boat ?

28' loa ,6.5' beam.

Attached Files:

2. openboater

openboater Junior Member

more ornament

or must I say 'this is the INSPIRATION ' of my replica

Attached Files:

3. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Replica of rusted lawn ornament

I don't see why you shouldn't. I should think the original builder would be flattered. After all who has copyright on 'plastic gnomes' ?

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

You should be able to take the lines and measurements right off the boat , and photo document the internal fraiming.

Or if you want a bit more speed

http://www.steamlaunch.co.nz/whio.html

sells plans.

FF

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Looks like someone has used the boat to fashion a greenhouse. That is a far better fate for a lovely old boat than having it rust out in ignominious anonymity.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I wouldn't pull the line directly off the boat, it has obvious hull distortion issues, likely from living on the hard for many years.

It's very probable that the Canal Corporation has the lines, possibly construction details of the several different type of craft used on the barge cannel. I'm sure they would have little issue with a "in the spirit off . . ." type of replication. Contact them, with an interest about the design and other design types, for historical reasons. Maybe you're doing a paper on the subject, etc. They'll probably trip over themselves to help you out.

Remember these are barge hull forms, which are intended to load down evenly, not necessarily much more then get dragged with some level of efficiency. They were slab sided for this reason and many had constant deadrise.

What would be you intended use for such a reproduction?

7. openboater

openboater Junior Member

PAR, the intended purpose ?

let me digress a little first. We currently live on a small 2 sq mile lake. we use the boat below as a 'have a beer after dinner launch' .

I've been trying to talk the bosslady into doing the ICW to FL, or maybe the great loop. She's kinda leary of the whole thing. So maybe if I start with just doing the Erie, Rideau and Trent-Severn I could win her over to the greater trips.

Well, what could be more fun than doing the canal in a true canal boat. I'd even paint it blue and yellow so I could blend in. ofcourse the pavilion would house some living quarters.

Plus I love welding, and since I'd eventually like to build an AL cruiser, I thought I'd take a diversion on the way to that boat.

Plus that age old ' cause it's there'.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.