Replacment Rectifier for MIG Welder

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by MikeJohns, Sep 18, 2011.

1. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

The diodes would be ok but I think you'd need a fairly large inductor ( choke) to smooth the resulting output otherwise it won't be much better than the AC.

For 200Amps four 50 Amp diodes in parallel would do it. But they must be standard silicon power diodes ( read all my posts above ). The diode bridges work well and are much cheaper than stud mount diodes.

2. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

What I mean is I plan on using the diode bridges.
    Diode bridge is full wave rectifier so then no pulsing of output?
    Someday I will get around to trying this.

3. jonr

jonr Senior Member

You still get pulsing - it's not a perfectly smooth waveform after rectification.

4. Dejovano

Dejovano New Member

Hello,

I realize that this topic is old but hopefully somebody will see this and be able to respond.
    I am trying to find the right silicon bridge rectifiers to connect them in parallel to get more current capability.
    As explained in above posts, they must be standard silicon types to work properly in parallel.
    On Newark element14 I have found several types of bridge rectifiers but I am not shure which of them are silicon types.
    Brand: Model: Type:
    1. multicomp MCCM5006-RH High Current Silicon Bridge rectifier
    2. multicomp GBPC5006+ Glass Passivated Bridge Recifiers
    3. Solid State inc. KBPC5006 High Current Bridge Rectifier

After reading the datasheets, seems to me they are all silicon rectifiers, but what is the difference between those series?
    If rectifiers are not standard silicon types, would be that explicitly written in the datasheets?

Denis

5. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Hello Dennis
    I just asked an electronics engineering mate so this is passed on:

The improved versions have slightly lower leakage and higher reverse voltage capability. You are safe using any of the 5006 series. The 50 is the current rating in Amps the 06 is the number of hundreds of volts for the voltage rating. You could for example use 5010 as well which would be 50 Amp 1000 Volt.
    They are all silicon power diodes. But get the diode blocks mounted in an alloy case , not a plastic case which is an option.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.