Replacment Morse cable?

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by Divecaptchris, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Divecaptchris

Divecaptchris Junior Member

Does anyone know if the Morse E300620 cable is still available? mine is a 372" cable, i have search the inet with no results, so im assuming it is not! If anyone knows if there is a teleflex that will replace it, or if not what my cheapest option would be to replace the whole system. My boat is a 28' Carver Mariner twin VDrives... thanks!

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

DogCavalry likes this.
  3. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

That's a rack and pinion steering cable, looks like its still available.

Steve

4. Divecaptchris

Where did you find it? I have not found anything matching that #, and yes its a rack cable

5. keysdisease

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Call any boat part supplier and they'll have or can order the cable. You only live 45 minutes from me, so I can think of a dozen places between here and there, where you can get your cable.

7. Divecaptchris

OK, talked to teleflex, They do not make that cable anymore! a few are around but not in the size I need! pre 1984 Morse rack cables are out of production, 1984 and up are still available! Hope this helps others! Now off to search for an affordable Hydraulic system! any thoughts??

8. keysdisease

Sea Star buy Teleflex, maybe not the cheapest, but available and everyone knows how to install and work on.

If your price shopping why not use Teleflex or U-Flex cable steering? For rudders on a 28 ft boat you really don't need hydraulic unless you have dual stations, and then hydraulic makes good sense.

There are current rack and pinion systems:

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/products/mechanical-steering/hps-rack-pinion-steering/

or

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/products/mechanical-steering/nfb-rack-steering/

Which would be an almost direct replacement as far a performance goes.

and then rotary systems which would be less expensive:

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/ under "products" look at "mechanical steering"

Steve

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Agreed, once you buy the new helm, ram and lines, there's no such thing as a cheap hydraulic system.

Any of the newer rotary or rack systems available will do well for your boat. These systems are standardized, so getting ends to fit what you have is fairly easy. I also think the old rack helm could be adapted to a newer QC or other type of cable end.

10. ambroseangle

ambroseangle New Member

I recently find the Morse steering cable E300620 17 FT in ebay store. I had seen the Morse E300620 also there in the store. I paid the charge for shipping of the product. I hope that you will find your required cable there.

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The old style rack and pinion can substituted by the new style with no problem. You need to drill two holes in the dash though.

12. slow fred

slow fred Junior Member

Cable oiler

Once in a while a request comes up for information on how to lubricate control cables.

You need a foot and a half of 3/8 ID reinforced plastic hose from Lowes, a tire valve, three hose clamps, a tire pump or small 12 volt air compressor with a gage, and MMO.

Shave the tire valve down and clamp it in one end of the hose.

1. Remove the fittings from one end of the cable.

2. Put 3 inches of Marvel Mystery Oil in the hose for every 20 feet of cable length.

3. Double clamp oil filled hose over cable.

4. Apply and maintain 50 PSI of air to the tire chuck. DO NOT EXCEED 50 PSI.

5. It will take 10 to 30 minutes for oil to appear at the other end. then your done. Have rags to catch the oil if your in a sensitive area.

I suggest safety glasses just in case somethings blows apart, but I have never had a problem. My save rate on cables is about 75%. I did all my cables every 2 years as PM but I was not on salt water.

1 person likes this.
  13. keysdisease

That's a good trick Fred, at one time long ago Morse actually offered a control cable oiler, but I think that time has passed.

There was a time when Teleflex steering cables had to be replaced every couple of seasons, especially in areas where boats were laid up for the off season. Then competition stepped in with stainless steel output ends and the Outboard manufacturers started using ss tilt tubes and today a steering cable will probably last a decade.

Control cables have no precise time of when an improvement came about, but the introduction of the Morse 33 supreme cable was probably around the time when product and process improved to make a more durable cable.

My boats are exclusively in salt water, not trailered, and used year round. The control cables in my Mainship 34 lasted 20 years to the flybridge (24ft run) and the lower station are still original equipment from 1978.

I think what you suggest is a good way to lubricate a control cable, I just question whether its necessary for a part with a 10+ year lifespan.

Steve

14. Isabella Barnes

Isabella Barnes New Member

Hello,

I know this post is quite old, but I am in the sane situation of not being able to locate the cable. Divrcaptchris—can I ask which hydraulic system you used? I’d love your opinion and/or any thoughts you or anyone might have. I also have a Carver Mariner 28.

Thank you,

15. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

Ive pieced together a few systems this last winter, did one with a sb marine helm and a uflex ram another with a larger sadly now discontinued sb marine helm and a sea star cylinder.

Like the sb marine ones as they have npt fittings. Set up both with single wall hyd hose from a local hydraulic shop.

The sea star cylinders are more but felt a bit more refined in construction quality. They make one for just about any sized system.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.