replacing timber beams with FG

Discussion in 'Materials' started by raf pali, Oct 7, 2013.

1. raf pali

raf pali Junior Member

Many thanks Jeff.
    Did you say that timber was dressed by the merchant? I saw mostly disgusting work by saw-mills carelessly passing boards under the thicknesser without surfacing first and that means, the dressing follows the twist and curve of the board and other crap like blunt teethed knifes ridges and jamming digs. Did you find the boards well done and ready to glue? Scarfing apart of course.
    I am a pattern-maker and very particular when it comes to this things. You know what I mean!
    Cheers.

2. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Amazing work jeff. is this done at the a m m.

3. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

The timber we got from them was just thicknessed to consistant thickness- I'd say their knives were sharp- that day, we were happy with a few drop outs in the surface as glue fills anyway-also the face got a buzz with a disc to open some grain, if the merchant hadn't offered or couldn't thickness on day of contact we would have just picked up & gone to town with planers! as the time line required. The boards were pretty stable and straight to start, no issue with twist, some bend though but the stack sorts that & first two runs/lams we set up the horses nice straight, I think only about six-seven feet got rejected out of the lot which represented about 2%(really nice grained but had a split- will still use for something but cut out the split), some wastage though in getting scarfs staggered & of coarse scarfs burn their length on one side. Given that this particular spar was replacing a solid trunk including heart & some knots I'd rate the laminated much higher in quality, the as grown logs suffer from radial? shrinkage & associated checks/splits that usually spiral along the length of spar- these need to be filled or splined to avoid water retention & long wet to dry cycle that promotes fungal attack/rot.
    It's good to be particular so you end up where you want to finish, also good to know where to stop & be good enough as the las few percent take a much longer time.... we call it "chasing rainbows", although in your trade very appropriate to get top results as any thing left in gets replicated x the whole run- quite similar to tool/mold making in composites.
    Jeff.

4. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Yes, not really supposed to reference my employer directly on line(personally) but I'm on my machine & time & only publish my own(taken) pics. Glad you didn't use full acronym;). I'd love to publish a series of shop floor vids that got taken through this process but they would be too ID. I've approved their use by the firm for FB & some media guru is editing, just 10-15 second grabs that upload quick off my ipod.
    Jeff

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.