Replacing stringers / foam 1980 baja

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Mdsv16, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Mdsv16

Mdsv16 New Member

I recently removed the floor, stringers and foam from my 20ft 1980 Baja. The floor was soft in spots and when I removed it I noticed the stingers were completely rotted. I removed the stringers as well. The fiber glass only covered the bottom half of the stringers. The foam between the stringers was soaked with water. It appears that the foam keeps the water from making it to the back of the boat. Do I need to replace the foam once I replace the stringers or can I leave it out? The foam is only 4 1/2 inches thick at the thickest spot.

2. dragonjbynight

dragonjbynight Senior Member

yes, all the foam will have to come out before the stringers can be replaced. If its already waterlogged, it won't do anything but rot out the new stringers you put in. Then once it's out will all have to be cleaned and ground down before you can place in your new stringers.

As far as it goes there are tons of threads on stringer replacement in this forum, one of the better ones in my opinion is at: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20668

3. dragonjbynight

dragonjbynight Senior Member

oops, my apologies...i thought your post stated you were going to leave the foam in...sorry. Errr..In my understanding yes the foam should be replaced, but in that I will refer you to some of the other posts i mentioned as there are many more qualifed posts.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.