Lifting a Deck

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by steveo, Mar 9, 2005.

1. steveo

steveo Junior Member

Hello all
    I am currently replacing the deck on my 23' stieger craft cc. I am going to build up the stringers by about 1.5" so the deck will be higher to battle a water draining problem. (put a honda 225 on the boat and it sits low in the water cause of the weight) I will also raise the deck drains so they will be above the waterline. I would like to know if anyone knows what type of wood to use to build up the stringers they will be glassed to the tops of the stringers and sealed completely? Thanks guys

2. BLueOne

BLueOne Junior Member

Stevo ,I would laminate 2 peices of 3/4 marine plywood and i would use epoxy if possible. :idea:

3. Ssor

Ssor Senior Member

Steve, Has your existing deck gone bad? or is it just too close to the w/l? From your post I get the impression that you plan to remove the existing decking to expose the stringers and build them up 1 1/2". Will you then lay a new deck or will you reinstall the old deck? Also are the stringers straight or are they crowned? If you only have a need to raise the deck above the w/l then you could do that with pink extruded styrofoam glued to the existing deck, all of the gaps filled with canned urethane foam and sanded flush. Then lay a plywood deck on the foam and glass it down using epoxy. Polyester resin will desolve styrofoam into an unspeakable mess. As to your original question, you live in New Jersey, you should be able to get white oak, black walnut, douglas fir, or pressure treated pine. But weight is already a problem, so I would seek to add as little additional weight as possible.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005