Replacing Plank...

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by piogil, Nov 8, 2006.

1. piogil

piogil New Member

Hi all, somebody know where could I find (in the web) graphic information (illustration, pictures...) about the replacing plank method.

I own a 1947 cutter, hull in oak, and I need replace few pieces of plank surrounding a rotten original bronze thru-hull....

i´ve read a couple articles... but my english is not so good and i don´t understand the half......

Thanks in advance...

Pio

2. dr.j

dr.j Junior Member

What type of construction is your boat? If it is carvel planked then you should be able to accomplish the task yourself provided the area of concern is not in a difficult area. Areas that have a great amount of curve are best left for those with experience.There are tools and techniques involved that the average Joe might not possess to perform this task. A steam box will probably also factor into the equation. If you really want to do this yourself,then ensure that you do as much research as possible. A person could probably perform heart surgery if he had enough empirical knowledge...

3. piogil

piogil New Member

Thank for your advise dr.j. I need replace just a a meter or so in three or four plank in a almost straight area. I never have done this kind of work in the hull and i´m little afraid about the result... in the other hand i can´t paid a professional carpenter. I need more information.. graphical specially

4. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Piogil, buy a book such as Robert M Stewards Boatbuilding Manual, it sets out the planking butts etc required & heaps of other useful stuff, having a real text to refer to is good comfort in repairs. Don't be tempted to "short plank" your repair by crowding planking butts close together & "saving?" work & timber, you've gotta stetch your planking repairs out along the hull so as not to have butts less than 3 planks between or 5 frame spaces along the hull, more if possible, & your best to go to existing butts if sqibby(small) are left as result of repair plank lay out. Some planking types can be glued-scarfed but although I have no experience of Oak here in Australia I doubt it would be a candidate for this, other forum contributors will be more experienced in this. Regards from Jeff.:)