stringer system

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by fabioely, Apr 14, 2010.

1. fabioely

fabioely Junior Member

I am building a 22 feet boat, V8 engine v-drive (ski boat).
    I would like to hear about the stringer system.
    My doubt is the material to use. Wood? PVC foam? Aluminum angles running over the stringers in the engine beds?
    So, any paper or information will be welcome.
    Thanks in advance.

2. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

There have been quite a few discussions on this issue. I went back to one that I thought was interesting because it presented a number of different opinions. In case you missed it in your search the link is below.

BTW the guy listed as "guest20100203" no longer posts here but he's very knowledgeable and really helped me out over the years. We disagreed a bit in this particular area but that just shows that there are usually multiple ways of accomplishing a given task. I believe that guest20100203 was right in his advise but by the time he wrote it I had allready built my stringers using a different technique. My stringers are fine but the other method (not using mat) would, I believe, produce at least as strong a structure and at a lower cost.

Good luck,

Missinginaction

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/fiberglass-composite-boat-building/stringer-deck-repair-29459.html