Replacing hatch plexi

Discussion in 'Materials' started by jimbo2010, Oct 15, 2010.

1. jimbo2010

jimbo2010 Junior Member

Being the boat is only 5 years old I didn't expect to see all the micro cracks from UV breaking down the materiel, in the mid and foredeck hatches.

What is the best materiel to use to make a longer lasting replacement?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

If you live aboard full time, this is a problem. But if you are away from the boat for most of the time, you should make hatch cozies just like the toaster cozy you have at home. Right away your windows will last 37 times longer.

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

jimbo,
    basically there are two choices, acrylic or lexan (polycarbonate).

The acrylic is cheaper, has better resistance to scratching, but can be cracked. The polycarbonate is tougher, scratches relatively easier, is dearer but if selected correctly (thickness)... is suitable for ocean work

as suggested above, certainly use cover for UV protection in future, and if you design them right, you cam allow internal ventilation as well. Most hatches are left closed to avoid water ingress when the vessel is left, but with a bit of ingenuity, you can leave them in the half locked position and allow good ventilation as well as water security.

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Most likely the cracks are made by you, not by UV radiation! When you use cleaning agents, containing alcohol, it causes these microcracks.

Replace with Lexan, as Lubs recommended.

Regards
    Richard

6. yipster

yipster designer

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    hatches as well as covers, flyscreens, blinds, come in a variety of models and pricing

7. jimbo2010

jimbo2010 Junior Member

Nice!!!

8. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

My vote also goes to polycarbonate- in this case Lexan MR10, which adds a scratch- and UV-resistant coating with a ten year warranty. The same warnings about cleaning with solvents apply to MR10 as to ordinary Lexan, and because of the scratch-resistant coating, you can't heat-form it into complex curved shapes
    Hatch covers are also a worthwhile idea.

9. Delane

Delane Senior Member

Diamond Plate Aluminum

If lighting is not an issue, you may consider using Diamond Plate Aluminum instead of Lexan etc. I know a guy who just replaced two hatch lenses on a Hunter 33 that has 11 port windows thus allowing ample lighting in the V-berth and Main Salon. They were cut, trimmed and fitting using only Sikaflex. I can sent pics if anyone wants to see the result. Solid, great footing and really makes it look robust. Although a little on the industrial side, but us guys like that anyways, right?

10. yipster

yipster designer

in anoher case for cabin windows i asked a leading i-net shop for advice on colored poly windows with wipers in sunny conditions without a reply.
    bended glas is expensive, dont really fit the sides and makes it top heavy, really think there must be a good poly alternative but might be wrong..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.