hull deformation

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by zorton01, Jun 23, 2006.

1. zorton01

zorton01 Junior Member

Hello, I have a new boat built in 05 (still not launched to water). It´s a 6.1m motorboat (fiberglass) that will be equiped with an 115HP outboard. The thing is that this boat is on the dock since it was delivered 5 months ago. The hull is black coloured, and have been exposed to the sun from this time. Yesterday, I realised that the hull has like a bubble or deformation around 15cm2. The shape of it is irregular, and is only appreciated watching the hull in an angle smaller than 25º more or less. if you watch the hull frontly, it´s not easy to appreciate it, just when you look on closed angle. The gelcoat keeps the same color, and when you go through the hull softly with your fingers you can appreciate the hull curvature at this place (hard to appreciate) The rigidity and hardness of the area seems to be the same than the rest of the hull. The temperature have rise a lot the past days in south of spain, reaching more than 42ºc. Maybe that´s the reason. What could it be? Gel coat components mixture fail?

2. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Saludos desde Pontevedra.
    Are you sure the deformation was not there before? It happens only in one spot? Maybe there were not well cured resins in the laminate...

3. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

was the hull layed up with a chopper gun, quite often they skin the hull by hand layup with clear resin so they can remove any air bubbles . then quite often they do the next stage with a choppergun , in the past Ive run into a problem with this .When you start to chop the glass on you often get a dry area of glass ,even thou it will look good the area is starved of resin it will often pass quality control, but when the hull sits out in the sun and gets heat the dry matt ares will balloon on you and this may be your problem.the hull will seem solid as the first layer of glass will be properly cured and if you remove the gelcoat in that area the underlining glass will seem ok.
    Another reason may be that the glass could be contamnated by some thing as simple as wax or some worker spilled his drink on that area of matt ,or the resin in that area was not mixed well and is not cured . One thing for sure this should be checked out by the manufacturer if its a new boat that hasnt been in the water yet they should fix the problem for you

4. zorton01

zorton01 Junior Member

The deformation have just appeared a few days ago. Th bubble wasn´t there before. I´ polished the hull before and paied attention to any detail on it. But I think there must be a connection between the deformation and the hotr temp. I´m gonna contact the manufacturer and see what he says. I wanted to know another opinion before doing it, I don´t think they will accept their responsibility so easily. Thanks for your help,

5. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

a bubble takes time to show up, dont be surprise if another one shows up

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.