stitch and glue flats

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by bamfjono, Feb 19, 2011.

1. bamfjono

bamfjono nomidlifecrisis

searched through this forum, Glenn L, and countless other design/plan providers and have yet to find a plan or reasonable info on stitch and glue for a traditional south florida flats boat(no john boats). It seems, the only stitch and glue plans relate to relatively low speed and low horsepower craft. Please tell me I'm wrong and that I should have no problem constructing an 18 to 20 ft skiff and powering it with a 150.

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Hate to tell you this ...But just as you suspected... you're wrong !!!

Traditional Florida Flats boats are lightweights, low freeboard, flat aft, designed for fishing in very shallow water and aren't powered by 150 hp outboards motors.

Choose a different design or Cut your power in half , add a poling stick, stern platform , trolling motor, fishing rods and have a look at http://bateau.com/ for a few stitch and glue flats boat designs .

Attached Files:

4. bamfjono

bamfjono nomidlifecrisis

Thanks, you did show me a stitch and glue hull that looks rather simple in construction. Even though I'm not well educated in boat design, I would have some concerns about lopping off 600 or 700LBS and 5 1/2 ft of LOA to see if it might perform as a flats skiff.

5. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

6. bamfjono

bamfjono nomidlifecrisis

Appreciate it mike, I have seen Bateaus Phantom 18 and it's pretty much what I'm looking for. While purists may want to be able to pole in 6 inches or less, I don't mind 8 inches as long as I can go 50 mph or better.

7. michael pierzga

You need to look at different designs...not a flats boat. A 150hp powerplant , plus fuel and utilties is about 750 pounds. A lightweight plywood epoxy flats boat wont float on its lines with the much power and will probaly break to pieces if homebuild and driven with a 150.

A classic centre console bay boat is a 150 hp rig . Even the classic 20ft center console will be hard pressed to go 50mph.

The lake "Bass boat" style is 50mph fast..but not very seaworthy

1 person likes this.
  8. bamfjono

bamfjono nomidlifecrisis

I'm a little perplexed. You can find 18 to 20ft flats skiffs all day long powered by anywhere from 130 to 200hp in south florida. I know these are factory built boats (maverick, hewes and the like), which hopefully means zero defects in construction. I guess my question is, even after stringers and bulkheads are added is there that big a difference in the strength of stitch and glue construction? I just want to find out what my boundaries are. I appreciate your help mike.

9. michael pierzga

Best is you contact the designer at Bateau.com directly and ask him...he has designed hundreds of small craft . Im sure that he can custom design to your request.

Its not normal for home builders to construct 150hp, 50mph plywood skiffs. I suspect that the designer will recommend powering down to produce a better boat.

Think of Lotus and a Mustang V8... The V8 burns rubber, fuel and cant go around a corner, the Lotus 4 cyclinder drives circles around the V8 because its weight distribution and dynamics are engineered correctly. .

I dont know the Flats skiffs world, but I have had many skiffs over the past 40 years. If you take a small craft, overload it aft with a heavy powerplant, you reduce its overall load carrying capacity, its seaworthiness and ruin the designs self bailing ability at rest. A permanently flooded "wet" plywood cockpit sole, at rest in the Florida sun, will have a short life.

10. bamfjono

bamfjono nomidlifecrisis

Thanks Mike. I appreciate your knowledge and you have given a little more inclination to broaden my views in design. This afternoon (sunday) I sat out on my deck and watched as a number of boats idled into and out of the canal. In 30 minutes I saw 7 flats skiffs from 15 to 20 with outboards ranging from an old 1976 Johnson "loop charge" 55hp to a Yamaha 225 hpdi. I'll find something right in the middle and send some pics of the project.

11. flyfishingmonk

flyfishingmonk Junior Member

I'm building the Phantom 18.

bamfjono,

I'm currently building the Phantom 18 in my garage and have really been enjoying the process. I'm an avid fly fisherman and have spent many a' hours on the deck of a flats boat.

I was about to buy a flats boat a few years back when I stumbled upon the Phantom. I've changed the plans up a bit. I lengthened the boat to 19' 6" and added a reverse chine from the stern all the way to the bow. I also have a few changes in mind for the deck.

I have been tracking my progress of the build on my blog and would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about the phantom.

Here a thread on Bateau about the build.

I'm planning on powering it with an E-Tec 115. I have purchased two shallow water anchors (the Talon made by Minn Kota). I also have purchased their Trim-n-Troll set up as well. All electronics are going to be BlueSea and Lowrance. After I bolt all the goodies onto this boat I imagine it will draft somewhere in the 8 to 9 inch range. Oh yeah... I also have a hydraulic jack plate from Bobs for it as well.

After I'm done with this I hope to build a microskiff as well, something designed to pole in less than 5 inches of water.

Here is a picture of the hull as it rests in my garage under construction.

[​IMG]

12. bamfjono

bamfjono nomidlifecrisis

Now That's What I've Been Looking For!!! Thanks so much for your reply. I'll be following your blog to watch the build. Looks like right now your in the very beginning stages. Just out of curiosity did you just purchase the plans or did you opt for one of the kits as well?

13. flyfishingmonk

flyfishingmonk Junior Member

I just purchased the plans and then rounded up the wood from a couple different suppliers here in TX. I also found 11 sheets on ebay. However, the kit would have been nice but would not have worked for my needs. They're pre-cut and since I changed up the plans the sheets of plywood would not have worked.

Its also nice just purchasing the plans because then you can mull them over for awhile as you think through what changes you may want. I also suggest building your own scaled model first. That is what I did and I found it helpful. Here is the post.

After I built the model I knew exactly where I wanted to make my modifications to suit my specific fly fishing needs. Which basically means I made the front deck larger and selected hardware that would not catch fly my line.

14. bamfjono

bamfjono nomidlifecrisis

The transition from the almost flat, aft portion of the hull to the V at the bow looks fantastic. When the water's flat just trim it up glide, and when the chops up a little the V and that reverse chine looks like a comfortable ride. Great picture. I can see mine screamin across Blackwater Sound already!!!

15. bamfjono

bamfjono nomidlifecrisis

The model idea shot through my head about a week ago. Finally have the day off tomorrow to go to miami and hit the hobby shop for balsa.