Planking method question

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by determined_ange, Jun 18, 2007.

1. determined_ange

determined_ange Junior Member

I have been researching the different methods of contructing a boat. Planking, from what I understand, is basically stacking together strips of wood, fastening it all together, and sealing it. Many pictures of boats that I've seen built using this method have the long strips visible on the side of the hull.

My question is could it be possible to build, for example a 12' boat using the planking method with let's say 1' long planks or strips of wood? Kind of like a big puzzle and sealing it with epoxy? I understand it would take a lot of planks and not to mention all the work but it interests me on whether or not a boat can be built in that manner.

2. nero

nero Senior Member

Yes. It is possible to join several smaller pieces to make a long strip.

However. you will need to join the strips before trying to plank with them. The length of the joint area will reduce the length of the already small pieces. Your boat will not be as strong as if you had used longer stock. You will need to add more glass (or fibers) when sheathing it.

Joints can not line up so planking the boat will be more complicated.

Factor in the time, extra epoxy used to join the pieces, and the cost of simply buying longer stock. For a 12 foot boat the wood is not expensive.

So, did your oil well of free wood scraps just go dry? Or was there a more artistic reason for your post?