Materials and Lam schedule?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by silentneko, Dec 18, 2014.

1. silentneko

silentneko Senior Member

I'm playing around with making a boat for inshore and near shore use throughout florida. I've designed and built 3 other wood cored boats with good success, but never a glass only hull.

I'm still working on the design, but it will most likely be a moderate to shallow V-hull, about 16' long and 6' wide. It will be powered by a 40-60hp motor, and have a center console.

In the past I have flanked by plywood cores with a combo of lighter weight Biaxial and woven cloths which make them nearly bombproof. However recently I've read some confusing information on what types of glass to use for certain situations. I've always thought cloth and biaxial gave more strength, and mat was more for bulk, but I've read some people contradicting this too. So what say you?

My plan after playing with some test laminations, was to use 2-3 layers of 1808, flanked with 6oz to smooth it out prior to fairing. But now I'm thinking about just ordering straight biaxial to possibly save resin weight on the mat since it doesn't seem to be adding much strength for the thickness added? Thoughts?

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

It depends on how you are building it and the resin type, plus hand laminating or infusion.

epoxy, hand lamination or infusion = no CSM

Polyester hand lamination= CSM required

Polyester infusion= CSM not required, but used at times.

3. silentneko

silentneko Senior Member

I'll be using epoxy, and hand laminating. So why is CSM required with polyester?