replacing a 305 with a 350 engine

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by mrostkow, Dec 5, 2017.

1. mrostkow

mrostkow Junior Member

So if I google the number on the upper housing or the outdrive I can find out if it is a n Alpha I, II, or III?

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Yes, you can do that, and you can also post here what you find, as it might be a lead to further info from someone, and maybe - PAR - Gonzo - Barry - know from the pictures already.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  3. mrostkow

mrostkow Junior Member

Yes, I will do that - however I really was hoping one of you more experienced fellas could identify it bythe pic...;-)

4. Angélique

I'll consider it very well possible that the fellas I've earlier mentioned are able to identify it by the pics, just wait for them to show up, and what they have to say . . :)

Just the age alone might exclude some types already, I didn't dig into that, the others might know from the top of their head . . :cool:

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It's an Alpha.

6. Angélique

Now we like to know the № I, II, III thing Gonzo . . :)

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

That is an Alpha 1, non- second gen. drive leg.

Angélique likes this.
  8. mrostkow

mrostkow Junior Member

Wow you guys are great! thanks!

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Please email my other half and tell her . . .

The easy trick is the trim cylinders. If they're bolted to the leg, it's a early Alpha 1 (gen 1), but if it has "C" clips, it's the Alpha 1 (gen. 2). Gen. 1 drives also have a dip stick in the cap, but gen. 2's have a hose going back to the gear lube monitoring system.

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The first type was simply called "Alpha". Later on, when the Alpha II came out, people started referring to it as Alpha 1.

Angélique likes this.
  11. Angélique

Thanks for the info Gonzo, didn't know that about the Alpha, although it occurs more often that the market comes up with an affix to identify older types, which from the factory go without, like in the below example . . . :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  12. Carolina Fishing

Carolina Fishing New Member

Ha. I never knew Gen 1 drives had a dip stick on the cap. Mine had so much paint on it you couldn't see it!

13. Carolina Fishing

Carolina Fishing New Member

There is no Alpha III.

Before "Alpha" there was MC-1.

Another way to tell Gen 1 or Gen 2 apart is to take a photo from the side.

Gen 2 has the back of the skeg at an angle. On Gen 1 it is straight.

14. Barry

Barry Senior Member

According to the Merc site, there is only the Alpha One series drives (WITHIN THE ALPHA SERIES)
    Alpha One ( without a Gen notation) from 83- 90
    Alpha One GenII from 91 and up to a cut off at 1997
    Alpha One Gen II from 1998 and up

Mercruiser Sterndrives | Mercruiser Alpha One | Stern Drive http://www.sterndriveconnections.com/mercury_stern_drive.php
    Above link a supplier for outdrives

You tube of the difference

EzPartsWeb https://public-mercurymarine.sysonline.com/Default.aspx?sysname=NorthAmericacompany=GuestNA_KEY=NA_KEY_VALUElangIF=englangDB=eng
    Mercury marine, OEM parts catalog.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017

15. Ian Schilf

Ian Schilf New Member

Hello everyone, I figured I would not start a new thread for this as it is just another step in this process that I hope you all can help me with.

I am in the process of "rebuilding" a 305 for a coworker's boat. I was just able to get it just about all torn down to just the block. The reason for this teardown is that the engine was not winterized correctly and cracked the block on both sides (just above the engine mounts). The block is a complete loss and at this point, I think it might be better to just find a 350 and put the intake, fuel pump, exhaust manifolds, and other marine specific things on the replacement engine. That all being said, on another site I am reading that some of these engines were designed to run reverse of a car engine, as well as the marine cam is different than a car cam.

The boat is a big old cabin cuddy (I'm a high school shop teacher, not a marine person)? Has a Mercruiser of some type. If I get a different engine do I need to figure out the other firing order to achieve reverse running, and change the cam as well? I know I am asking a lot with almost no information but hopefully, someone can help me.

Thank you,

Also, who would I talk to about OMC sterndrive things? I made a mistake and bought one a couple years ago...

Thank you again,

Ian Schilf

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.