Replacement Rivets

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Cheapshot, Apr 18, 2010.

  1. Cheapshot
    Joined: Aug 2009
    Posts: 10
    Likes: 0, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 10
    Location: Earth

    Cheapshot Junior Member

    I have been scouring the internet for replacement rivets for my 1973 12 foot Ouachita aluminum boat. I found a source that describes the type needed as a Closed End Rivet. Does anyone know off the top of their head what size (i.e., Diameter, Length, Head style) would be needed for my particular application?

    Secondly, How does one flatten the narrow end of the rivet once installed?
  2. jehardiman
    Joined: Aug 2004
    Posts: 3,211
    Likes: 669, Points: 113, Legacy Rep: 2040
    Location: Port Orchard, Washington, USA

    jehardiman Senior Member

    "Closed End Rivet"?

    I doubt a "pop" rivet was used in intial production. A "closed end rivet" is a hollow blind rivet where the expander is forced into the barrel and seals any leak path when it breaks off. But I doubt they were used in major seam production of a commericial hull, especially if you ask for a method to "flatten the narrow end of the rivet once installed"

    This is a "closed end" blind (worked from only one side) rivet


    This is a common production (tublar) rivet.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.