Wheelchair adapted cruiser

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by sean-nós, Apr 9, 2016.

1. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

So this is my next little project :) a Richardson Roving Gem and I need to adapt her to take wheelchairs to get the family out on the water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One Idea is to come in from the side and reinforce with steal where I cut out.

[​IMG]

Another idea is to cut away the back section and fit double doors then build a large swim platform that I can ramp from both sides or out the back, anyway I'm open to all suggestions good and bad so please help if you can. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

It may pay you to contact Alik, a forum member. He has designed vessels with wheelchair access and can give you all the pro's and con's.

3. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

Cheers PM sent.

4. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Sean, we published a research on wheelchair friendly craft design, it is available on www.rina.org.uk in Publications>International Journal for Marine Design. There are dimensional diagrams, etc. what You might need to make the layout.

5. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

Thanks for that I'll have a look.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.