FRP - Concrete

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Poida, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Can anyone tell me if FRP resin will stick to concrete.

2. bntii

bntii Senior Member

I believe the answer lies in resin type Poida.

I don't know from experience in this industry, but I understand that epoxies are used to repair/waterproof concrete structures.

If the resin sticks, a FRP composite should adhere as well me thinks..

http://www.thomsonthomson.com/repair/index.html

The application for you?

3. Lurvio

Lurvio Mad scientist

Pretty much anything sticks to concrete, at least after the surface has been broken (sanded etc. to remove the cement film) I've personally used congrete based leveling compounds, polyurethane in many forms and can also tell that paints stick to it very well.

In army we had training land mines, 12.5 kg concrete blocks covered in FRP, and they got whacked alot.

Lurvio

4. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Bonding of epoxy to concrete is OK (see Lurvio's remark about removing the cement film). Whether it is strong depends on the type of load you want to apply on it. If you want to pull, you pull off the surface of the concrete as the concrete itself is not suitable for such kind of load.

Good luck!
    Angel

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yes, you can bond to concrete. Current trends in hard fastener embedding in concrete is being handled by epoxy formulations. I wouldn't use polyester resin for this task as it's modulus of elasticity doesn't match the substrate very well, meaning it will fail, long before the substrate does. This is one of the reasons epoxy is preferred.

It would be much more helpful if you were more specific about what you're trying to do. For example are you looking to repair a ferro build or just fix a few cracks in your driveway?

6. Adler

Adler Senior Member

Concrete + FRP

Dear Poida,

First of all should be noted that the term "concrete" represents a Family of materials with many editions on which the Concrete industry adds components regarding to resist on mechanical loads and / or chemical corrosion among which should operates the Concrete mixture to each specific case.

Second point is to obtain the adhesion between the surfaces of both materials and how that could be improved.

For your information the Chemical industry provides a lot of liquids that are applied as surface dressing to FRP few hours before the concrete be put on.

The mechanical properties of the contact (when you apply this kind of surface dressing) are appeared with good resistance to shear
    stresses but poor to tensile ones.

Regarding to use concrete on FRP surface you have first to define the possible stresses that could be applied on them.
    A significant difference of Specific Weight between these two materials should be noted; specially if you will use the concrete as ballast mass.

7. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Thanks guys for my application it looks stickable enough. (stickable is a highly scientific term)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.