Open letter (because I don't think I'm alone)

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Kaptin-Jer, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Hi guys,
    I have been asking advice and hopefully giving some help for the past 3 years on this forum. (the member listing doesn't reflect it because I crashed and had to rejoin)
    Now something has started to really bother me and I think I need real help. When I was 10 years old the Yacht Atlantic sailed into Wildwood yacht basin and docked there. A business man was going to make a restaurant out of her. For years I would ride my bike to the marina just to look at that huge black beautiful ship with her 3 yellow, raked masts. She looked like she was moving even after she sank to her rails. I dreamed of having a sail boat of my own.
    First came college, then Vietnam, then 3 kids. Finally about 15 years ago, while working as an Architect, I saved enough money to buy a set of plans from a Swedish Navel Architect. My dream boat, a 78' sloop. I rented an aircraft hanger from the Government (seized in a drug raid) 50 miles from my home. I lofted the lines in the computer, and spent From Friday night until Sunday afternoon at the hanger for two years building the mold. I had half the hull covered in cork when the company I worked for went out of business. I had to give the mold away. The there was the Herrishoff. Gave that to my brother (too small) then the Rebuilt Chrysler. 3 years work, sold it on EBay (too small), But I finally, with the money I made on the Chrysler, have a boat that I really like. A 38' Beneteau. Of course she was cracked in half and I had to completely gut the interior. See attached.
    So what is my problem? I have been building or refurbishing boats continually for the past 15 years and I haven't sailed one yet! I think I have an obsessive compulsive disorder, and in watching this and other forums I don't think I am alone. I have to get to the boat every week end to do something, even if there is no money this week I'll find something to do. The only real money I'm spending Is for dock-age, most all my supplies come from the salvage yard, but is what I'm doing healthy? Should I be posting this to a shrink forum? I really enjoy seeing a trashed boat transform back to the way it was supposed to look. It gives me a lot of satisfaction. It's good therapy from staring at a computer for 55 hours a week, but I could be driving a new BMW instead of an old '90 Mercedes, and my wife would be able to get me to do all the Honey Do's around the house that I have neglected. But I am afraid. Like before I quit smoking. What will I do? Is there life after boat? Will people laugh? Call me a quitter? Should I quit? I still want the boat. I really shouldn't be spending so much time on it, but it's my time isn't it? Will I ever finally sail? and is it really that important?

Attached Files:

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

You have to work off the crime first. I have no idea what you feel guilty about, but once you've paid for it, you should get yourself a boat and go sailing.
    A small boat, one you can enjoy.

Alan

3. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Open letter

My main shed is full of half-laid keels, ribs, lumps of 'useful looking' timber, metal that 'might make a....' What my long suffering wife calls 'One days...'

Get a grip of yourself man...Where's your 'Slocum' spirit ? :(

4. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

When I had a young family and suffered sleep deprivation along with a demanding job my local GP recommended I spend more time sailing to relax. It was good for me.

Boats are time consuming and a good source of relaxation therapy especially if you are just fiddling and not trying to actually go somewhere.

I would be surprised if you could not get a taste of sailing simply by chatting to someone with a boat in running condition and offering/asking to crew. This might provide incentive to move faster or get rid of your boat.

There are not many better ways to relax than being in your own boat on the water.

Rick W.

5. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Hi Kaptin-Jer!

Let’s have a quick reality check here.

What leapt out at me is your own quote “I really enjoy seeing a trashed boat transform back to the way it was supposed to look. It gives me a lot of satisfaction. It's good therapy from staring at a computer for 55 hours a week”

Then next, a line out of Ricky Nelson’s song Garden Party (OK, I AM giving my age away!) … “seems you can’t please everybody, so you got to please yourself”

Just follow your heart and the rest will fall into place. I believe the most successful people in this world are not necessarily the Wall Street billionaires, but rather those who simply do what they love and are passionate about. The Western Way has taught us to measure everything in terms of money. BMW’s, power… JUNK!! :D

Fulfil the desires of your heart and you will truly be a “successful man”.

OK, ‘nuff of this, I’m sitting babbling on the computer with a boat waiting to be built in a boatyard just 20 minutes away.

See ya later fellas! :p

1 person likes this.
  6. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

there is an old english adage
    There is simply nothing quite as satisfying as mucking around in boats
    You are as normal as I am, and I am totally sane and have been mucking around in boast since 13,
    and a yachtbuilder since 78,
    BUT your dream of passport to new life, well oft it is just that, ann many such dreams have foundered on the reefes of life
    You will get there, one day, my first build 43 footer took 7 years started with 3k
    But yeppers, there are many (buys ) out there, on the second hand market, so you are realistic
    Guy rings me thiis past week, said his budget was 765k, and then in next mail asks quote on 62 foot Paine!! so who is more realistic? you are, Go get it!!

7. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

I was right!!

We are all insane!! Isn't it strange that 5 of the 6 people that answered this post so far are either Aussie or English. My mate finished restoring a 27' something named it Zoe, and is currently, as we type, single handling his way back home to New Zealand. We are all mad. Especially you guys!! That's why you can relate! I went to the drug store, but there isn't a patch, or pill for Boat-itest. And they said the cure was worse than the affliction. So as y'all are keen to say "muck on mates" boating is fun!!

8. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

dont call me an Aussie ya *******!! Actually we just won against France

9. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

they make a drug for people that give up boats,, they call it crack,,,i'd stay with a boat habit,, cheaper, more relaxing,, and "feeding the fish" means throwing ya hamburger overboard ;)

10. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Open letter

Glad to see you've regained your easy-going nature, Stu.... :)

11. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

S,all right Max, you should see my new Russian bird!
    thanks for the intro of the other, but I pass

12. Trevlyns

Hey Max

Such a nice response, but when I try to post feedback, Jeff blocks me with “You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Bergalia again”

Well there’s Frosty, Charmc, Tim and that other fellow from Cornwall…

Well, never mind, it’s the thought that counts ‘eh?

13. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

trev you don't think I was serious do you:)) everyone is either mate or ******* here, Bergs will explain

14. Trevlyns

Com'on man - do people actually give up boats???!!!

15. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

See! We are all crazy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.