repairing my wooden boat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by 67 Chris, Jan 12, 2007.

1. 67 Chris

67 Chris New Member

I have a 1967 Chris Craft Connie that needs sanded and re-caulked below the water line. I have heard I must be caureful not to fill the gaps too tight.

What is the best way for me to dand-caulk and re-seal?

The Boat is a beauty completely restored with 100 hours on brand new engines!
    2 vacum toilets brand new water pump, electrical, generator....the works so I want to do a good job!

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

In your area there are several skilled fellows that can properly caulk your boat. It's not a skill you'll pick up easily, without a real craftsman showing you and more importantly a few hundred feet of seams you've personally done, teaching you the "feel". Words can simply describe the process, but it is a hands on skill that must be acquired. A first class beauty should have her bottom touched by skilled hands. Call the local, wood friendly yards and see who their using to caulk their clients yachts.

3. 67 Chris

67 Chris New Member

Thanks...there is a local marina with a professional carpenter..I really want to try and do it myself....but I know it must be done right...