INfusion Plain sheets core foam

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by adam_designer, Jan 27, 2016.

1. adam_designer

adam_designer Junior Member

UPDATED! ANSWERED AND RESOLVED BY MYSELF ON POST NUMBER 4

Gents

simple question but currently I cant do test panel because one of the components is not yet supplied to me.

Does the infusion of plain foam (divinicell) combined with lantor soric is possible? i mean, there is no mesh involved, so the lantor soric acts as flow media for the laminates.

The stack (starting from mold surface ) is:

1. non woven fabric
    2. soric 1 mm
    3. diab Divinicell Plain sheets
    4. soric 1 mm again
    5. fabric

again, no mesh and peel ply will be used,just vacuum plastic. I've doe several times using grooved foam, but this time because of several issues (especially money and stock) will only using plain for infusion.

Regards

Adam

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  2. adam_designer

The soric is 2 mm not 1 mm

3. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

post your results when you try it, Im curious how well this flows. Also post size and what your laminate is

Thanks

4. adam_designer

Just for sharing

Just for sharing for Jhorge and people here

Finally I receive the materials, I did one test panel and it indicates good infusion flow.

REMEMBER TO MAKE PERFORATED HOLE USING ROUTER, ABOUT 8 mm DIAMETERS SPACING 80 OR 70 mm.

my stack was

1. Gelcoat
    2. Barrier coat CSM 450 (VE resin hand laid)
    3. Double Bias 800 (infused)
    4. UD 650 (infused)
    5. Soric (infused)
    6. Plain Foam manually grooved divinicell 60 (infused)
    7. SOric (infused)
    8. DB 800 (infused)

Well, some people would compelling " your laminate is heavy, why using soric on hull, and so on so on"

I have reasons

1. I Use soric bevause it has flow media purpose for plain foam, I dont have grooved foam at the moment.

2. The soric added puncture resistance to outter skin, it has resin uptake 500 ram persquare meter per 2mm sheet

3. I use consederably low density foam for this laminate (60) which I suppose to use heavier one. adding soric will also add the overal core density.

4. its cheap. and effective, the flow is SLOW but excellent, please check the photos.

5. The hull already released from mould and guess what, it only has 30-40 kilos than i used to make from grooved foam.

any comment please.

notice the hexagonal pattern of soric.

during vacuum test

[​IMG]

5. adam_designer

The rendered plan

The Girl supposed to be like this when finished,

anyone interested can mail me :D:D:D, non military spec available, 2 stepped hull, having some system that i could describe as deck channeled air lubricating for hull (this is company secret:p)

container size

[​IMG]

6. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

That's interesting. I would have been worried about the bag directly on hoses slowing resin exit. So you scored the foam even though you used the Soric?

7. adam_designer

I dont understand what you mean the bag direclty on hoses.

yes I did make hole for the foam just to make sure the resin flow. could add impact resistance for some degree i guess.

8. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I've never infused with scored core or Soric, only with flow medium. I would place a piece of the flow material over the hoses to prevent bag from sealing around the spiral exits and causing a dam. Happened to me once, but looks like works fine the way you did it. )

9. adam_designer

well it depends on the plan.i just put the spiral touching the edge of the fiber edge on the flange. there should be no issue except you put suction hose and spiral apart from fiber edge, then youll get obstacle.

All the equipment I used is not " vacuum grade" except for sealant tape, even the pump is only cost me 330 dollars, the resin inlet house is for gardening, very smooth and very easy to handle, I didnt need any clamp, just tie it, BAM it vacuum. many tack person around me said, It never be done, but it does, perfectly. As long as the gauge reading 80 mBar or 700 mm Hg, i will shoot it, why should pay more if we can acquire same standard.

10. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Well congrats on the success. Do you think it would have infused as well without grooves, just using the Soric and drill holes.

BTW, it's a badass looking craft!! ))

11. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Hi Adam :)

Please post less wide pictures, or post them as attachments, the width they are now deforms the page on my small monitor . . :(

Otherwise you're doing great . . [​IMG]

Good Luck !

P.S.

Just for info, the max my small monitor can handle is pictures of about 1100 pixels width.

12. adam_designer

Hi Angel

Thanks for input and appreciation.
    Well, i made the thread from my big tablet, its seems good. BUt then when i open on my laptop, i realize it is messed up. Worse thing if I reply some other people thread, then I realize I just messed their page with my full res photos. hahahaha.

13. Angélique

Hi Adam,

Tablets and Smartphones do resizing of images themselves at the display of a web page, so they are not good to check what you have created on laptops and desktop computers with a small monitor.

If you want to resize the recent big images, and create medium sized versions, you have 7 days to edit those posts and replace the big pictures URL by a medium sized version and so restore the page layout for laptop users and desktop computer users with a small monitor.

Here's a download option for a small free image resize program for windows, most laptops can handle pictures on this forum up to 1060 pixels width or so.

Good Luck !

FAQ --- Can I edit my own posts?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  14. adam_designer

Hi Angel

I can do it with handy in photoshop tonight. Btw Thanks for clear me with the Forum regulaton

15. Angélique

OK Adam, good luck with this action. Just for info, I've just added the first line in my previous post.