Repairing delaminated sandwich, advice needed

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by resynth, Mar 19, 2013.

1. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Best advice is to walk away and leave it for some other sucker !!

My personal throughts as to simply walk away from this project . even for some one with a good amount of repairs work under there belt its a challenge , so if you are nervous about what you doing just say thank you but no thank you . I think back what else is coming apart !! where else could be starting to delaminate places that are not seem etc .
    Live a while longer and go find another boat . what kind of teatmant has the boat had for it to do what its done . the guy cant be much of a sailer to let that happen !!:D

2. resynth

resynth Junior Member

thanks for your replies. Think I might leave the boat though, have found a Kelsall x-cat in fine condition for the same price, it small but it'll do!

Tunnels, I didn't mean to sound like I was challenging your advice, just required some clarification! If I wasn't gonna listen I wouldn't ask!

Ben

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Im glad you made a wise choice !! the problems are when one part lets go and comes apart all the stress and strain is magnified on to other parts of the boat and its just take one very small area of glass /foam delamination and it could just sit there for a long time and when you get into a blowy situation some day it to will let go and you will be cursing to your self !!.
    The sea is a wonderful place and very unforgiving ,it finds weaknesses and is relentless and never stops working and working till it lets go and or breaks . Like i said its your choice at the end of the day !!:p:)

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Thats probably also a foam sandwich construction. Kelsall has been building in this way for years, and being well engineered, can be considered a viable way to build a hull.

Tunnels took my name in vain earlier on when he went all paranoid about the strength of the bond between foam and glass. It seems he still hasn't gotten the concept. Its possible that the delamination in the tri was was caused by massive impact or similar trauma, and the cost of the repairs is just a side issue of enjoying super light, efficient sailing.

The trick is to buy foam boats that have been designed and built by qualified professionals, like Derek Kelsall, as like any other material, you have to understand them.

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

It is unclear.

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Hello mr Watson !
    I will never change my mind about foam cores untill its proven otherwise Core cell is one product that sounds ok but have never used !!
    Yes i have over the years laid lots of foam cores and probably will again but i still dont like it one little bit !! if in doubt always use a higher density than is spec'ed ,go up but NEVER down !! everything has it limitaions !! and foams limitations are not very high !
    if you using foams the panel sizes and places where internal main structures are fitted need to pay special attention . !! Me i am all for glass to glass in any of those places . its more work but for the peace of mind its well worth the effort!!!!. :eek: