Wooden Boat Restoration

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Butch .H, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Hi all I have posted one or two pics of my boat and have recived a reply or two mostly we ended up pulling the piss out of Fanie and Manie. They responded in the same(good on them).But time is catching up I move her in two weeks time to start the rebuild.

History of the boat as I understnd it is: Built in 1933 designed by G.Estlander as a flush deck.Pitchpine on oak seems to me if one looks at the stringer in the attached photo oregon pine was used.I hope some one can identify this on the photo. Forward and aft cabbins have been added. The frame work in these is all ok. There is very little rot to be seen.The lump of rust in the center of one of the photos is the engin. I have the service records of the engin and it seems as if this was maintained well. I will need to pull it out and probebly service or replace it.Unfortunatly the origional mast has been lost and was replaced with a ally mast.
    Pleaese have a look and comment or advise even if you are taking the piss

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

hey everybody here knows i am dilly
    just ask Fanie Mas Trevs Safie The1 and ALL the others
    just watch my calculations and then you will really understand that my mother dropped me on my head:D

aneeeeewaaaaay
    you are compressing your pics tooooo much
    go for 200 to 300 kb
    cant see any detail, when i zoooooom i get blocks
    now dont come that **** that i must put my glasses on
    i got zooooom

ok it looks fine to me for now
    i got gigas of **** on this computer on boats
    im sure the fellas as well
    will help anywhere we can

from what i can remember about your time frame that you wrote about, its makes me woooooorreeeee

i am hoping to get to the boat show in durbs 11 to 13 July so maybe i should leave here friday early and pass by you to come and pester you with gigas of useless stoooopid information that you are not going to need ever:D :D :D

3. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Cool We can troll through the yacht clabs. Many good boats sitting on the hard rotting. Bring a tweed hat so we can sneek into the PYC (bunch of snobs) Bluff is the best place lots of Boere Boote and down to earth folk also ushually loads of parts with advice and so on. I should have some bits and pices for you by then.

4. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Found a cable that said start pulled it and it started almost s@#$% my self:eek: . Any info on this motor .It is a Kabota as you find in the tractors but mine is connected to a closed system heat exchange unit. Ran well for a second or two . Eventualy found the other cable that said stop:D

5. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hey Butch - post some picks mate - we need to check how things are going with you:D :D :D :D :D

i work with engines all frikken day - will try to help

6. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Will do Manie as soon as I can find the camera think it is in the bilge

7. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Manie not working to day? Me neither cant think of any more ways to optemize a 45m2 f@#$g house to suit the budget that could not by a oil can

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Geez i did work a bit today
    bloomin cold all me joints are stiff

to scared to put on heaters as we dont know what our damn eletricity bill will come to:D

9. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Timber arrived today:D Found camera will post pics you all can make fun of

10. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

11. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Manie I bet you will. Hey you not in DBN for the boat show ?

12. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Manie Just for you

Attached Files:

13. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Good pics its nice to be able to actually see whats happening, you dont need to compress so much. 200 kb makes it nice to zoom.

you have certainly got your work cut out for you, but it is very rewarding to be able to sit on the boat and just stare into the "future"

my 2 cents worth - we are in South Africa - so use the "cheap" labour, keep him at it 5 1/2 days a week with you doing the difficult things. It is amazing how well things progress when one guy puts in a dedicated solid 50 hours a week.

Cant go to the boat show in Durban - what a pity:mad:

I am very fortunate to say that i have got a lot of work at the moment, business is good, that is after 6 = six months of pure HELL in this flippen country that our Goverment has ruined.

Anyway my "jarcat" is seriously underway - first delivery of wood arriving next week, i am like a kid in a candy store at the moment, give this old fart a piece of wood and he smiles :D :D :D

go well

14. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Manie I cant get the bugger to work in the garden any more. He always finds a excuse to work on the boat:D Durban boat show! I had a look yesterday not to much happening and it is cold and cloudy.Cape Town will be the one to visit. Loads of work am finding it is theraputic. We have a number of boats earmarked for rebuild. We are thinking the RCOD should be converted to a Tri. You chaps must come down for a visit some time .You can evaluate our hair brained sceems.

15. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Striped the deck on one side and had to junk most of it. Mix of teak maranti and pine?. I did find that the old girl was a Yawl at some stage of her life. Three keel mount mast steps:eek: two coverd by timber also while removing a large rotten beam I found the forward mast collar for the yawl rig. Nice piece of teak. Many iron fastners loads of rust . The origional deck did not have underlay should I retain what origionality I can or should I underlay.Most of the oak fraiming seems to be ok. The teak and maranti deck planks seem to have rotted whilst the pine remained ok any reason for this.I have plenty of pine for the deck. Steel nails were used to fix the deck and are now a pain to remove.

Comments and slander welcome