Who knows KKS?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Georg, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Georg

Georg Junior Member

I would like to build a small Solarcat (LOA=4m). On http://www.kelsall.com/
    I found a method which sould be very effective to build a hull. But doing some research on the internet, the method seems not to be adapted by many professionals.

Does anybody ha experience with it?

2. nassaw

nassaw Junior Member

Kss

There are several of us building in this style. Go to Kelsalls site and join the email list. introduce yourself and I'm sure all your questions will be answered.
    The KSS build system has evolved quite abit since my start with the introduction of resin infusion. I feel it is still the fastest way to build providing you stick to the plans. I have a small site dedicated to our build. I'll post it below
    Good Luck
    (LUCK)
    when preperation
    meet opportunity

http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/1748/

Bob C

3. Georg

Georg Junior Member

Your experience

Dear Bob

Whats your experience with KSS? Would you choose it again as the building method today? Do you think it works with a much smaller hull (LOA 4min my case)? What do you think about many comments in the Internet, that the desired shapes are difficult to get, any in many times there is a lot of fairing to be done?

Thanks for your answers in advance. Kind regards. Georg

4. nassaw

nassaw Junior Member

Kss

Georg,
    If you follow the link I posted. You will find my build of a Kelsall Suncat 12.2 meter cat. We are near the completion stages and are already thinking of a second build around the 16 meter range. Contacted Derek today and already have a CD video of the upgraded KSS build style with the introduction of Resin Infusion on the way. Not quite sure of what series of build Derek is now offering. I still have a few of his older catalogs around somewhere. I believe he offerer an X Cat range but I think it started at 5 meters and up.
    I'm not sure what others have said. Getting a desired shaped hull is not difficult with this build style. Much care must be taken and constant measuring will insure a perfect shape. On my 12 m. cat. the hull were built within MM. of each other and are a Mirror image. I consider their shape perfect. The thing I like most about KSS was being able to make many changes through out the build with Dereks help. Not many other designers allow this and as most builders find they need changes as the boat progresses and lifestyles change.
    Please feel free to ask questions but you should contact Derek at some time and post a few question to him. He is very straight foward and easy to talk to. If you like You can mention my name to break the ice.

Regards
    Bob Crepeau
    Good Luck
    (LUCK)
    when preperation
    meet opportunity

http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/1748/

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.