Repaint Gull dinghy

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mainsailman, Jan 3, 2014.

1. mainsailman

mainsailman Junior Member

Hello everybody,

Just bought a sailing dinghy Gull about 20 years old. Boat looks reasonably well for it's age but need some paintwork to be done, please see attachments. As I don't have any experience in boat restoration I'm asking for some advice how to do it. I mean step by step if possible.
    To make it more clear - we live in Essex, UK, it's a winter now, daily outside temperature is about plus 6-8 C, a bit above zero at night. We have two car garage, but above is a kid's bedroom so I can't use any highly toxic substances during the restoration.
    Maybe it's better to look out for professional painters, in this case could you please advice for how much this job could cost and how long it could take.

Thanks,

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You can paint this yourself without hiring a painter. There are lots of references about painting and more importantly, painting prep in previous threads here, as well as other locations online.

If sticking with the low VOC materials, acrylics are the option. Something as simple as house paint will do, though it's not as durable as other types of paint, like the alkyds and polyurethanes.

Prep is 80% of the project, so do some research on surface prep, then select the appropriate paint for you, which would seem to be "Porch and Deck" acrylic.

3. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

It seems to be a GRP boat and if it is looking a bit dull why not give somebody like Graham Eeles a call about giving it a quick polish.He may well be in your local phone book and I have heard good things about his work.Its normally best not to paint GRP boats until they really need it.

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

That is a very good idea. Anyone doing that kind of work will know in 1 minute if it will work.

5. mainsailman

mainsailman Junior Member

Yes, that's a grp boat, and honestly I'd rather to give this job to someone else who know what to do. I'll try to find Graham Eeles and give him a call. Otherwise I will ask you guys for advise and more details.

Thanks a lot

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Judging by the photos, it's way past any buff job. In fact, it looks to have been previously painted, so the idea isn't applicable, particularly with big hunks of it coming off of it now.

7. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Depends on the damage on the decks etc. If it is just paint peeling, most likely some one has not prepped the gelcoat. If deeper holes repair with CSM (Chopped Strand Mat) and/or roving, then gelcoat. If in doubt of paint use a one pack poly like international Toplac for decent adhesion. Will need 10+ degrees for at least a day per coat though. I've had problems with temperature in the cold winter 09/10 as varnish would not cure at 8 degrees in my workshop....and that is dry and insulated. Polyester will cope with lower temperatures than epoxy when curing ifyou are filling in holes.

These old Gulls can be in any condition so hard to say exactly without a full look at it. Too cold right now for paint or resin if below 10 degrees C. Also too wet in the southern UK. I have a lot of small jobs waiting for spring......

Check the floor on the Gull as the 'joint' between the tankside and the floor can leak. This then gives no buyancy as mostly they are one integral tank. Depends on Gull model as there are at least 3 with different mouldings and rigs. The Class website gives some details.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.