Annotated jpegs

Discussion in 'Software' started by DavidG, Jan 29, 2003.

1. DavidG

DavidG Junior Member

I tried posting this in the software section but couldn't log on!

Not really design but;

Does anyone know of a simple package for adding annotation to photographs for reports, surveys etc.

I am looking for something more repeatable than draw in Word, but not as cumbersome as Paint Shop, with a default arrow and text style and size.

Any ideas?

David

2. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

There's probably a less expensive program designed specifically for this task, but I would use CorelDraw -

import jpeg
    type text
    draw line
    choose arrow end

Then you can save it as a pdf or export -> jpeg.

Corel is also now developing Designer - I can't remember who they bought it from. It's supposed to be more geared for technical illustration, though I've not used it yet.

I should add that I'm heavily biased in favor of CorelDraw - it was the first graphics program I used starting with Version 3, so I'm more familiar with it than with Illustrator or Photshop and can move around a little faster in Corel still.

3. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

> I tried posting this in the software section but couldn't log on!

Sorry about that. Let me know if you continue to get any errors.

4. Mike D

Mike D Senior Member

David
    All the “professional” software such as PhotoShop, CorelDraw etc is too powerful for what you want to do – like hanging wallpaper with 6 inch nails and that is reflected in the price, a few hundred dollars US depending on the bundle.

The most used paint program is probably one that started off years ago as Shareware and worked its way up the ranks – Paint Shop Pro by JASC, you can find it at http://www.jasc.com There is currently a deal offered that is described on the site but it will still set you back US$90 or $100. It is much easier to use than the “big name” software.

Here is a Freeware program that will do everyting you want and more http://www.hotfreeware.com/2020/2020.htm but it has the company’s advertising repeatedly popping up that is supposed to be distracting (what do you expect for free :)). However, you can download an ad-free version for US$20.

I did a quick search in Google for
    annotate image freeware download -"smartdraw photo"
    and this is the result http://www.google.ca/search?num=100...d -"smartdraw photo"&btnG=Google Search&meta=

Only 3,400 hits and many are sites that link to others so you can spend a long time especially as the true freeware is not as common as you’d imagine. Happy hunting.

Michael

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.