S2 8.0 Cabin Top Mast Step

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by savagepoint, Oct 25, 2017.

1. savagepoint

savagepoint Junior Member

Hi Folks,

First post and definitely a fiberglass repair beginner so bear with me. I just completed closing up the cabin top on an S2 8.0B which needed to be re-cored due to water infiltration through the mast step bolts and other locations. (photo attached). If I've done anything wrong with that I don't want to know at this point ;) I used epoxy, 2 layers of 1708 biax and balsa core as was in there previously but built up solid fiberglass under the mast step area instead of the original balsa.

My real question is whether anyone has any suggestions for how to recreate the step/plate/foot (not sure exactly what to call it) that the mast step bracket was attached to (photos attached). I had the forethought before I cut it out to make a sort of jig that bolts onto the boat and gives me the correct placement of it on the cabin top, but I didn't really capture the correct angle of it as it was well sunken in and warped. There was also a 4"x6" rusty steel plate layed up inside that old mast step that I will probably replace with aluminum, SS, or leave out since it's all solid fiberglass now?

The boat is definitely not level at the moment. Are there any tricks I can use to make sure I build it at the correct angles to the boat? Also any general suggestions for how to construct it other than just cutting out a bunch of layers and stacking them up until they make the correct angle (and probably filling/grinding to correct it)?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

In general, mast steps are horizontal. That is, parallel to the waterline. You can use a level to get the angle. Set a level and put a long enough stick on top of it. Use a block of wood to tilt the stick until it is parallel to the waterline. Transfer that angle to the deck.