Removing Outboard Auxilaries

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by DCockey, Sep 27, 2018.

1. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

The ability to remove and store while underway an outboard engine used for auxiliary propulsion is a common request for smaller sailboats intended for day sailing and cruising.

Has anyone routinely removed and stored an auxiliary outboard engine while underway? If so what size engine and what size boat?

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Why bother to remove it David? For a day sailor it is not worth the trouble. Just tilt it up and forget that it is there until you need it. OK in a really rough sea, in the cruising realm, you might be well advised to remove and stow it. Now it becomes a matter of the physical ability of the person who is involved. Most of the 9.9s are about the practical limit of reasonable physical effort. They might weigh in the 75 to 100 pound range and that is more than plenty of weight to wrestle with. Kinda depends on the boat I would think. You would need a strong engine to deal with a 45 footer but a small 4 or 6 HP engine would be plenty for a 35 footer. Two strokers are lighter than four strok engines invariably. One must pick his poison.

I have a tiny little 2.3 Merc that moves the repurposed Thistle (gunk holer) at or near hull speed. It weighs 23 pounds and is easy to deal with. Just the same I leave it on the transom at all times., even trailering.

waikikin likes this.
  3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

My current interest is removing outboards on sailboat under 25 feet in length. It's not something I've ever done but I know some folks think the ability to remove and store an outboard auxiliary is important.

4. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Maybe keeping the outboard stored in a well is an option here, see e.g. Rodger Martin's Presto 30* with a 9.9 Hp outboard in a well with a vertical sliding bracket. When the outboard is down a fairing above the anti ventilation plate closes off the slot around the outboard's leg for efficiency when motoring. When the outboard is vertically raised by a tackle then another two part fairing closes off the whole slot below the raised outboard leg, and so makes for a closed flush hull bottom when sailing. On the Presto 30 the outboard well is placed forward in the cockpit off center against the backside of the cabin bulkhead, so the prop won't ever be lifted out of the water in a chop.

* there's some PDF drawings at the bottom of the linked page.

The outboard and well setup are shown at ± 1:11 to ± 2:17 in the above video.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

There are thieves about. I had not considered that in my previous post. The risk of having your outboard stolen is good enough reason remove it to a safer place, like under lock and key. The risk of such a happenstance varies from place to place. David's original question has validity that I had not considered.

I would not want to wrestle more than 50 to 60 pounds so we are constrained to 4 to 6 HP engines.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You only need about 3HP for a 25 foot sailboat. A 19 footer will do fine with a 1.5HP. They will be 30 pounds or less. However, I don't see much sense in removing and stowing it.

7. CT249

CT249 Senior Member

I've installed an open transom, and two traveller tracks. The outboard bracket rides on the traveller cars. The 9.8 Tohatsu two stroke kicks up, slides inboard and is then lifted into a locker in the port quarter. The 9.8 pushes the 2000kg 28 footer as well as the 12hp diesel it replaced because it's not using a folding prop. Because it goes on and off the bracket while it's in the cockpit, you can't drop it and don't have to lean over the stern.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.