Removing old paint from a fibreglass hull (exterior)

Discussion in 'Materials' started by valvebounce, Aug 9, 2013.

1. valvebounce

valvebounce Senior Member

I have a 13ft speedboat hull that has quite a few coats of paint on the exterior.It has crazed cracks in the paint which are very deep.
    If I attempt to sand it the wheel or sanding sheet fills up in seconds.
    Is it possible to use a liquid paintstripper on it without damaging the fibreglass hull?I have contemplated using a blowlamp and scraper,but I dont know if it would damage the strength of the hull.
    Any advice will be gratefully recieved.

2. dinoa

dinoa Senior Member

water-sand blast does a good job

dino

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

I suppose you can use paint stripper. Ive never used it on fiberglass

Google a paint site like International and see if they have any strippers that dont effect polyester.

4. valvebounce

Thanks for the info Dino/michael.
    V

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yes, you can use a chemical stripper, though look at the can - some are compatible with 'glass, others will eat it up, so don't learn this the hard way and read the can.

6. valvebounce

Hi PAR,long time no see.
    Thanks for the advice.I am still plodding on with the boat.I have cut a transom pattern,and managed to get a 6" upstand either side of the motor for the "splash"I have marked it out to 26" and 28" like you suggested,but not made the cut yet.
    I have a dummy transom on my bench,so I am going to try the motor radius swing and mark it,allow half an inch either side for clearance then transfer the measurement to the transom pattern.The motor is Tiller steer.
    Purely from an interest point of view,I was informed by a friend who is a tinsmith on rolls royce marine deisel engines that the hull on this boat is the same design as the raf rescue boats that were used in ww11,and Lawrence of arabia (Shaw) was the designer.
    The last remaining boat was salvaged from Malta,and has been brought back to it's former glory at the cost of £500,000.I have the write up on it and pictures if you are interested in having a look.Apparently,it was the fastest thing on the water for many years.

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Paint strippers can damage gelcoat for sure, maybe the citrus based ones are friendlier than the older style strippers.

8. valvebounce

Thanks Mr E,looks like I will have to research it,and read the can.
    The boat isn't anything to shout about,just my little project,it's getting to the point where I am thinking about the paint job.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.