New to Boatbuilding...And Naieve?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by darkphoenix357, Oct 6, 2008.

1. darkphoenix357

darkphoenix357 Junior Member

I NEED DIRECTION!!! I had never been interrested in boats, Only the water, until as of late. I am nearing the end of my motorcycle build. I am one of those whom incessantly need a HUGE project. It gives one direction; in my opinion.
    I would like to build a wood boat with minimal help. I am thinking of a 16' to 18' dory. Here's the reasons: the possibility of sails, motor, and oars; in that order.
    I live near Monroe Reservoir, Indiana, US (10,750 acres water with 23,952 total). I also have family in North Carolina; with access to the water.
    I definately like the idea of making a sailboat. However I like the idea of a 5 HP motor for some cruising with friends in lack of wind; and the option of all else fails oars.
    I am thinking of a Dory for the versatility. ( I am also thinking of two to four total people)

Please Help With Ideas!!!

2. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

I NEED DIRECTION!!! Okay turn left:D You think you are going to stop at one boat.No way.I was only going to rebuild one wooden boat Ha Ha.I am slowly building up the collection. Man I need about 10 jobs to pay for this lot. Good luck you are going to have loads of fun:D

3. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

4. darkphoenix357

Thanks for the insight Butch! I kinda figured that boatbuilding might be addictive, akin to motorcycle building and tattoos. Guess that's part of the draw, huh? Well, that and the water.

5. darkphoenix357

Thanks for the idea KnottyBuoyz! This design does look quite appealing. I still have about a month before the bike is finished to settle on which boat will be the next project. If you have any other ideas for a beginner boat, let me know!

6. KnottyBuoyz

They designed specifically for the amateur builder with simple construction techniques. Great support forums as well. Plenty of other builders willing to help out.

7. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

darkphoenix357;

Knotty has put you on to a nice one. Very similar to what I
    am doing.. Check this:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24009D

I am going to have sail, oar and a electric motor.

Addictive?? Never!! I have been at it for nearly sixty years
    and can stop any time I want!:p :p :p

8. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Dark I like that response keep us posted we will want to poke fun at all your boats:D :D :D
    You will find epoxy a efective hair removal tool:D :D

9. KnottyBuoyz

10. darkphoenix357

No kiddin'! I'll have to refer that one to my Fiancee. (Just don't tell her I said that!!! Hehehe) :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.