Mercruiser Gear Ratio Issue

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by bayviewmarina, Feb 17, 2011.

1. bayviewmarina

bayviewmarina New Member

We are putting three Chevy 350's in a 36' boat with 3 new Mercruiser Alpha One outdrives. This boat will be used to tow (this is crazy) a 65' yacht through the Intracostal Waterway from Ft. Lauderdale to Freeport, Tx. I can order any gear ratio that I want... I just dont know what will be best. We are looking for power, not speed. Any suggestions on gear ratios and prop ppitch would be excellent.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

1:1.5 would be the usual for that engine size, but since you are towing a 1.65 may be better. You will have to calculate the pitch of the propellers for the maximum towing speed

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

A more unsuitable use for a boat I can not imagine. You say you know its crazy but do you know how crazy,--yet your from a marina. Your towing a 65foot or 65 metre?

Those 3 350's will be running at 1000 or less at 10KNTS, they will foul.

I would not think you could get a lower pitch than 15, your bollard pull would be so huge you would need a special frame to take the tow line.

A suitable boat for doing the job would cost less than one new leg.

I think this is a joke.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

They make 11 pitch for Mercruiser.

5. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

would never consider that as a set up
    use 2 bravo 2 drives and 2 engines or even bravo 3 drives.

6. Karl2

Karl2 Junior Member

Lease/Rent a 40' displacement boat with twin 150 hp or so IB swinging 28-29" wheels.

Using I/O power for this job is a recipe for down-time during the tow. Will require down-time planning and budget.

Karl2

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.