air pockets when laying-up large sections of thick CSM into intricate moulds

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Fishbonemarine, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Fishbonemarine

Fishbonemarine New Member

when i wet layup into an intricate multi angled/shaped mould, i find after the surface vale and 2 layers of x 225 CSM - when i start using 450 csm i keep getting air pockets and cant get them out -- just end up chasing my tail with the rollers and the 450 lift's again , and back to air pockets ,, iv tried extra styrene in the resin to wet the thick cloth , but im not winning,,
    is it better to lay smaller sections of thick cloth and over lap ??
    as i'm just having to much trouble laying big sections of 450 into multi angled /shaped moulds

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Can you just use two layers of 225? I would think you might be able to wet out two layers of that and then use the bubble buster roller on them both at the same time.

3. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Depending on the exact CSM, the exact resin, the shape of the part, plus a few other things, this can happen fairly often. The lighter weight CSM can make it much easier to roll the air out.

4. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Make a thick paste with your catalysed resin, talc is cheap but heavy or a micro balloon or silica type filler and paint that around your problem areas you could even add some chopped up csm if you need the strength, glass over wet on wet. Don’t over roll or you’ll push the filler out.