Instincts

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by timgoz, Jun 5, 2007.

1. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

I'm not talking trained response here, but instinct transfered over from related, but not specific experiences.

My example is the first time I found myself in a skiff running out a breaking inlet. Had a GPS with tide tables, could of listened to the VHF weather to get an idea of the winds outside. Did not do either, though I knew the tide was not at it's strongest.

It was ebbing with an oppossing wind. Got into it before I realized how hard it was breaking. Had a 15' aluminum skiff with a 9.8hp Nissan 2-stroke (oars backup, that would have been fun!). The cook from the trading post was with me. Told him to hang on and "jump" when I told him to, not "if".

We got through it but it was hairy.

I truly feel my background as a whitewater river guide & came into play that day. If nothing else it allowed me to keep my cool when confronted with rough water.

Any similar experiences fellows.

Tim

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

You mean ones I'd hesitate to broadcast too far? Like the time I chartered a lovely 31 ft teak cutter (which had a spoked wheel) and caught my shorts on a spoke as I brought her in? No, they were pulled up, atomic wedgie style.
    Alas, I might have jumped, but I wouldn't have stayed up in the air for long.
    No, we drove into the dock.

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

yes I had a couple of incidents that spring to mind
    First in 1981 Musket cove Fiji to Port Vila cruising race, we only had compass, sextant and crappy log, we made landfall 1am, I had not a clue as to where I was, but carried on(steel yacht) well next day another boat said they had us on radar and where holding their breathes as we got near to the reef and then edged away from it, someone was looking after me that night
    We had a huge deviation on one heading which I could not get out
    Another time we were on our way home to NZ, when Cape Brett light appeared directly OVERHEAD, we were right under th cliffs!! tacked away with feet to spare, makes me shiver now, at the time it was all adrenalin, full gale, lightening rain

4. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Who is to say that something we give credit to ourselves for is not the doing on "Someone" else. I know for a fact it is not my skill or knowledge that has got my as. out of any number of sticky situations.

Tim

5. Roly

Roly Senior Member

THAT made my heart race!

1 person likes this.
  6. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

you know it Roly after that we nearly ran over whale rock! We had no charts of the BAy and after clearing (we waited at Paihia DUH,) and then went up to Opua, After this in the pub, once again a longliner guy said he saw us on radar nearly scupper on Whale Rock, My lady from then is still with me, she would change that bloody big headsail in the middle of the night alone, But now she stays home!!
    Since then my first choice has always been radar

7. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Good tale for the pub eh Lazey?

8. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Interesting subject Tim...(who thought it up for you?) :D

Not really to the point - but at the top end of Scotland there is a rip called 'The Merry Men of May' where when the tides and wind are in opposition the water literally rises in a 'lump' in the centre...a plateau of about two metres. A 'stupid' but enjoyable stunt used to be to 'shoot' the rip in a small boat (suitably garbed in life jackets - and with a safety boat standing by).
    The knack - according to locals was to 'let go the tiller' and allow the rip to carry you through. The theory being that in a tidal rip - the light globe will survive, whereas a stiffly steered boat will frequently come to grief. In short - go with nature.

9. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Berg,

A guide named Charley Waters used to drop a beachball globe upstream and observe the line it took through the rapids.

Problem was he had as many & most likely more, "crash & burn" encounters with the river than the rest of us. :)

If his globe survived the trip he would give it to a younger, good looking female guest.

There are some hellashish whirlpools at Point Baker, Alaska. In an outboard powered skiff I could avoid the big ones. I have seen them materialize out of no where though. Thankfully not under my boat. Thats where I was departing the inlet I mention above.

The same heavy tide rips bring an abundance of Humpbacks there to feed. Shared the strait with 50+ one beautiful day.

Tim

10. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Now that would be a 'pants' filling experience! especially to a little walrus! what if they fancied me!!

11. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

From what I've heard of Walrus, the Humpbacks would be the ones in danger of molestation & being violated in an unnatural manner.

Tim

12. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Envy you Tim. Nearest I've come to that was finding myself in a pod of basking shark off the Western Isles (Scotland). An experience everyone should have to gain a true sense of their worth, and place in the nature of things.

13. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

um, well swimming with the humpbacks is the best sea experience of my short life:) and their call is the loudest natural sound, very moving to watch and they always keep the mum or dad between the boat and the calf

14. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Tim,

You've had some wild rides, my friend. Being with humpbacks in a small craft, that's wonderful.

My closeups with wild creatures have been limited to a gator ... very close and amazing; a large ray while free diving off an island in the Bahamas, and a dolphin while kayaking. Each involved prolonged eye contact. Very humbling and a reminder that this world is a big wondrous place with wondrous creatures ... and we really need to not screw it up.

15. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Lazey,

Man, you've had some wild sailing. I think I'd enjoy an evening in a tavern somewhere, over a few fine brews, and hear those sailing stories.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.