Relocating rudder

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Vronsky, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Vronsky

Vronsky Junior Member

[...]

a) Buy a much bigger boat. Something with performance. An ex racing boat without a home.

b) Wall off the entire forward V berth area, creating a watertight compartment.

c) Wall off whatever you can aft in the same way, living in the center section amidships where the motion is most kind.

d) Enjoy the greater speed, greater stability and greater weather handing capability of a longer waterline.
    [/QUOTE]

Thank you for your suggestion, looks interesting, I've read somehere about 'faster boats are safer boats'. Could you please point me a few examples ??

THANKS,
    V.

2. oceannavigator2

oceannavigator2 Previous Member

Ah, I opened a can of worms. ;)

A faster boat is only a safer boat in that you can sail your way around bad weather. It can actually be quite dangerous if you are not meticulous about your seamanship. Less dangerous, in my opinion, than a small Beneteau though.

The large ex racer has a lot of advantages and still would need a few modifications in my opinion.

1) Wall off the watertight bulkheads as discussed before. That way you can ram a shipping container at hull speed and not sink... hopefully.
    2) Get the helm more protected. A dodger of some sort and even a bimini, able to withstand waves washing right over the deck. Maybe move the helm below with a little bubble to look out of?
    3) Have a ton of reef points. Usually you want more wind on sailboats. But, you have to be ready fir when there is too much. Should be able to reef down to nearly no sail. That needs modifying. You would have to reef by the numbers too. 15 or 20 knots of wind = automatic reef #1 or something like that.

Advantages would be speed, very, very strong righting moment intended to counteract a lot of sail area, but nice if you are being rolled. (check on inverted ultimate stability though) Long waterline is just way, way more comfortable and seaworthy (_resisting wave action) than short waterline.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2004/Evento-42-Silva-Hispaniola-ORC-2607992/Germany#.U0CLNGFVBCo

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...0226/Marblehead/MA/United-States#.U0CLT2FVBCo

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1996/Goetz-Taylor-2157089/Green-Bay/WI/United-States#.U0CLj2FVBCo

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1981/Santa-Cruz-50-2606858/Sausalito/CA/United-States#.U0CLnGFVBCo

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A bigger boat is inherently safer to a point, but not necessarily a racer, where professional crews and skippers can make them safer then they actually are. Most exracers will have spartan accommodations, very expensive, possibly well worn systems and an exacting inventory, that needs to be utilized for the performance envelop desired. I think a better option is a more defined SOR by the OP, so he can get the boat he needs, rather then attempt modifications on something less suited.

4. oceannavigator2

Yes, a better SOR would be a step in the right direction. My post was definitely started as a "if it were me, i would" type of thing.

To me, the ex racer, modified for circumnavigation, would be the ideal (assuming inverted stability is ok).

Plenty of mods to make to get it singlehanding worthy, but a perfect starting platform, imo. Expensive refit, but circumnavigation ain't cheap. Maybe not right for the op though.

5. PAR

This is my general point. I don't think the OP has a firm grasp on the needs or requirements of a solo circumnavigation. I've done some solo crossings and it's not for most sailors, by a huge percentage. It's more than just boat and it's preparation, it's also about 50% skipper mind set and capability as well. It's very difficult to anticipate/meet this particular mental and emotional requirement and I've found very few, that are comfortable with it. The level of self assurance has to boarder on arrogant or you'll not make it very far. Lastly, and also in this same vain is the problem solving ability of the skipper, looking for this type of adventure. Those that I've met that have solo'd 'round have been very efficient, sometimes ruthless problem solvers and jury riggers. You have to be able to cope, level headed, cold, water soaked, tired, hungry, in the worst conditions, all the while relying on physical and mental abilities to address whichever issue is at hand. Failure just means they'll have a basic idea of where to find your body, which isn't a goal, but an epitaph.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I've done a fair amount of solo sailing. In my opinion the smaller the better. It is less work.

7. PAR

There comes a point of manageability on solo ventures, but the bigger a boat you can handle, the more comfort and more importantly, the amount of stores you can carry on a circumnavigation, become primary concerns. For me this is about 45' of the usual proportions and this is purely a subjective thing I've found with various craft. I have a 65' sloop that I can solo, but I wouldn't want to go 'round in it.

8. Vronsky

Vronsky Junior Member

Seems I forgot to mention that the OP is not entering the non-stop Vendee Globe :eek:, just a two-year cruising trip along the equator. Recently, a 14-year old girl circumnavigated, an exception for sure, but certainly no superhuman. Maybe in the old days that was the case, no disrespect, but in modern times with all new comm. technology, it's become quite different.

9. Vronsky

Vronsky Junior Member

That seems to be the general consensus.

10. oceannavigator2

I have as well. And disagree that there is less to maintain. There are, in fact, the same number of all systems and components to break down in a large lwl boat as there are in a small one.

A small boat, the size the OP has first suggested is a fatigue laden, miserable ride at very slow speeds. It costs less, to be sure (although you can get more lwl at the same cost in an ex racing boat), but you get what you pay for in all other cases.

Small boats are miserable. Really. Every ripple tosses you around. Every moderate size see has you wishing you were on something more substantial.

Maintenance is the same amount of work on any size boat, exception is hull waxing.

In any case, he needs to set the boat up to be single handed. This is the same on a 25 footer as on a 50 footer. Mechanical advantage is the only requirement on the larger boat.

11. oceannavigator2

If you go with the tiny one and get into real weather (partially because you are too slow to avoid the weather in the tiny boat) you will think back to this moment. :D ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.