Relocating a galley/ thru-hull question

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Westerly23, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Westerly23

Westerly23 Junior Member

Hello,

I would like to relocate our galley sink aft. The idea location is right above a cockpit drain thru-hull.

Is it acceptable to Y into this thru-hull for the sink drain?

Do you forsee any issues with this?

Thanks.

2. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Is there any chance of backflow between the two drains? Which drain has the higher originating point, the cockpit? If so, then the p trap on the sink should block any oders or backflow as long as there is no back pressure at the discharge point on the hull.

3. Westerly23

Westerly23 Junior Member

Is there any chance of backflow?
    Yes, from the sink into the cockpit, but the thru-hull is much lower than the cockpit, so it should'nt be a problem.

The galley sink is the higher of the two.

I would retain the shut off for the cockpit drain, this should elimitante soapy water from backing up into the cockpit while at the dock.

4. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

I always thought of the cockpit as having a scupper flap. Interesting that it has a shutoff. One more thing to remember before setting sail, open the cockpit drain.
    Fewer hull holes the better, no? I don't see a harm to your idea.

5. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Bite the bullet and give the sink its own thruhull .

When grease or something plugs the discharge , it can be disconnected at the sink and the hose straightened out.
    Then a broom handle can clear the blockage , and the hose returned to the sink drain. No need to touch the seacock if the hose ends above the water line.

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.