Bedding stringers on foam

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Vice, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Vice

Vice Junior Member

Fiberglass boat,plywood stringers. Im going to use foam between stringers and the hull, Do ya glue the foam to the hull and the stringers to the foam then glass over or just place foam then stringers and glass over. Cheers for any help.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Those generic questions have only one answer: it depends... on the hull construction, design, power, weight, intended use, type of foam, etc.

3. Starcraft67

Starcraft67 New Member

I have a 1967 17 foot Starcraft Riviera, fiberglass hull with a 48 evenrude on the back, its just a pleasure boating and some fishing on a realitive mild bay. The deck is shot and upon ripping it up i found that the fiberglass matting under holding the stingers down had holes and gaps in it which the 2x3s are rotting away. I feel like i should cut out the matting and stringers and just put down everything fresh and seal it properly. I havent done anything like this before is there anything i need to know before i dive right in? I have taken measurements of all the 2x3s both running bow to aft and port to starboard. What should be my next step? Should i put foam under the 2x3s then put a fiber glass matting over like previously done? Thanks for any input

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

A Forum search on that topic "stringer repair / replacement" will bring up several threads where that was handled in every possible way.

Regards
    Richard