A Whale of an Idea

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by kach22i, May 16, 2007.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Back on 2/27/07 I had an idea for a new type of fan or propeller blade (for a hovercraft), based on the posts I did in the middle of this page:

Link:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9630&page=19&highlight=tubercles

My sketch hangs on my wall, another great idea I don't have the time, money and expertise to pursue. Today I read this story, and think maybe I'm not so crazy afterall.:)

2. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Neat ideas, George! :)

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

does this mean that the next Hummer model will be covered in these bumps? or will we just drive land rover discos that are already agile?? :D

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

You know what?

My sketch is very different from what these guys ended up with.:confused:

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/213475
    [​IMG]

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:WhalePower_Corp#Company:_WhalePower_Corp.
    [​IMG]
    Smooth (left) and scalloped (right) idealized humpback whale flipper models used for wind tunnel testing of lift, drag, efficiency, and stall behavior. While testing, only one of the models is mounted in the wind tunnel. These idealized, scale models, milled from clear polycarbonate sheet, use a NACA 0020 sectional profile (20% thick).

[​IMG]

http://www.pratt.duke.edu/news/index.php?story=156
    [​IMG]

Patent:
    http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?wo=2006042401

What is claimed is:

1. A turbine/compressor comprising: at least one magneto-electric device; a drive train coupled to said magneto-electric device; and at least one rotor blade coupled to said drive train, said rotor blade having a shaped leading edge configured to enhance lift and reduce drag.

2. A turbine/compressor according to claim 1 wherein said leading edge includes a series of spaced tubercles formed therealong.

3. A turbine/compressor according to claim 2 further comprising a control system to adjust the orientation of said rotor blade so that said rotor blade faces incoming fluid flow.

4. A turbine/compressor according to claim 3 further comprising a second control system to alter the shape of said rotor blade.

5. A turbine/compressor according to claim 4 wherein said second control system alters the pitch of said rotor blade.

6. A turbine/compressor according to claim 4 wherein said second control system alters the spacing and/or shape of said tubercles.

7. A turbine/compressor according to claim 1 wherein said drive train is a shaft directly coupling said rotor blade and said magneto-electric device.

8. A turbine/compressor according to claim 1 wherein said drive train includes a drive shaft and transmission arrangement acting between said rotor blade and magneto-electric device.

9. A turbine/compressor according to claim 8 further comprising a control system to adjust the orientation of said rotor blade so that said rotor blade faces incoming fluid flow.

10. A turbine/compressor according to claim 9 further comprising a second control system to alter the shape of said rotor blade.

11. A turbine/compressor according to claim 10 wherein said second control system alters the pitch of said rotor blade.

12. A turbine/compressor according to claim 11 wherein said second control system alters the spacing and/or shape of said tubercles.

13. A turbine comprising: at least one generator; a drive train coupled to said generator; and at least one rotor blade coupled to said drive train, said rotor blade having a shaped leading edge with a series of spaced tubercles formed therealong.

14. A turbine according to claim 13 further comprising a control system to adjust the orientation of said rotor blade so that said rotor blade faces incoming fluid flow.

15. A turbine according to claim 14 further comprising a second control system to alter the shape of said rotor blade.

16. A turbine according to claim 15 wherein said drive train is a shaft directly coupling said rotor blade and said generator.

17. A turbine according to claim 15 wherein said drive train includes a drive shaft and transmission arrangement acting between said rotor blade and

generator.

18. A turbine according to claim 17 further comprising a plurality of linked generators.

19. A turbine according to claim 18 wherein said linked generators are in¬ line.

[​IMG]

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

6. charmc

charmc Senior Member

George,

I believe firmly that the idea you explained at the beginning of this thread has potential; I read nearly all the reports through the links you shared. It should be very efficient.

These last prop photos, however, do not show props with ribbed or humped surfaces, I'm certain. What appear to be waves are grinding or polishing marks, left as the prop is finished. It's similar to the light and dark stripes that appear on golf course greens after they've been mowed. Here are some other examples.

Attached Files:

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yes they are gringing /polishing/buffing marks . Each shop seems to use a different pattern. Or different worker.

I see we have one there with the hub only antifouled ---I do that.

8. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Are you sure? What about these?

I see dimples!

http://www.sspropeller.com/products/propellers/
    [​IMG]

Similar, but not an exact match to the ones on the DeJong and Lebet website.

Kaplan propeller
    http://www.australpropeller.com.au/kaplan.htm
    [​IMG]

Example of burnishing finish:
    http://www.olds.com.au/marine/
    [​IMG]

9. charmc

charmc Senior Member

George,

Your examples in the last are all buffing patterns. As Frosty said, some shops and/or workers make distinctive patterns consistently; it's a sign of good craftsmanship, a rare thing in these times.

The statement you quote refers to the blades' longditudinal angle to the hub. The link explains different blade tips and curvatures which produce maximum thrust for each application. If the thrust was the result of rippled or knobbed blades, that would be a prominent feature of their marketing.

The one case you showed that uses knobs was the red blade for fans. That one is very much like the whale fin design. I'd be interested in seeing testing results on that design. That one is good "outside the box" thinking! :)

10. kach22i

kach22i Architect

11. kach22i

kach22i Architect

12. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

13. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Wow, great videos.

Do you think he even has a rudder under there?

14. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

No rudders, no bow thruster. Just technology.:D :D

Pericles

15. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Would this device still be sold, marketed or technically categorized as a Variable Pitch propeller?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.