Cooking Apparatus on Boats

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by brian eiland, Aug 12, 2012.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

NuWave Oven option?

For the most part we have simply adopted normal cooking apparatus from our home kitchens onto our vessels.....either gas or electric, stove tops, ovens, microwaves, hotplates, etc. And generally we have found the need to have the multiple different devices for cooking various items.

What if someone was looking to cut down on the number of, and perhaps size of these various apparatus? ...perhaps to cut down on electrical demand. or just make for a more compact kitchen with less 'machinery'.

Quite long ago I remember seeing an ad on TV for a cooking apparatus that used three different forms of heating all in one unit,....conduction, convection, and infrared. I went back to look it up today, and arrived at this NuWave device:
    NuWave Oven
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcNDbBM1tRk

Would one of these countertop units really serve a vessel that well? Or perhaps several of these units side by side in a custom enclousure?

Has anyone had practical experience with using such an apparatus on a boat?

I have never liked electric ovens/cooktops myself....and on a boat where I would wish to cook without having to turn on a generator?

Supposely more energy efficient....and I wouldn't think that would be difficult to outperform a conventional electric stove?

1 person likes this.
  2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

The Prime Rib sold me...............................I will look at this a couple of more times and do some research but this might be a great winner. Do away with a micro, a reguler oven, and burners. Learn how to cook on this and with a bar-b-que on the outside rail you could be home free. Stan PS, thanks for posting it. Lots of info on the web, google Nuwave--only $99.00 US

3. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

i have had a nu wave for 3 years and it works okay, a friend uses one in a motor home and swears by it.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Microwave,---I told the galley designer where I wanted the fitted microwave . Next boat will have 2.

elec kettle and rice cooker that can be used for all sorts of things beside rice.

5. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

I have one at home and on the boat. My boat's electric/diesel except for the BBQ and emergency winter heat.

The only thing I used the micro for was heating up leftovers and making nachos,when it blew up I never replaced it.

It works great for what it does,the advantages:
    -portable,so plug it in on the back deck,keeps heat out of the galley on hot days though it doesn't really get too hot.
    -keeps moisture and smells out as well,moisture concerns from fall to spring.
    -in the marina,clouds of smoke from the BBQ are not appreciated,so I use it in the marina and the BBQ when out.

I wouldn't do a turkey in it,thats for the BBQ.

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ah ---sea turkeys --yum yum.

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The Std Primus , fed with kerosene is clean and as simple as can be found.

No electric , no batteries , just a gallon can for a couple of months of cooking.

A Sea Swing gymbol will allow cooking or heat in force 8.

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

And a kilo of throat lozenges for parrafin irritation, and youlle need a canary in a cage, if it dies get out of there.

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

A blow lamp can pretty much do anything, toast on a nail or a tin of beans or soups, or caramelizing sou flays and crepe a la orange.

Boiling water in a tin cup is easy and if you put a blow lamp in the bottom of a 50 gall drum it makes a lovely heater.

I have heard you can remove paints and even solder with it.

10. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Not as silly as it sounds. I've used my cooks torch to heat and brown a great many dishes.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Don't forget the simplest of warmers,---the engine.

A water cooled exhaust maintains a perfect temperature for keeping food warm.

Its probably true to say that if some one had space surrounding a dry exhaust with room to fabricate an oven incorporated into the piping a perfectly usable free oven could be fabricated. Temps of 500/600 would be easy.

12. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

A quote from the Youtube presentation

"Why create tasteless and unhealthy food in a microwave"

Whaaaat !!!! Whats unhealthy about a microwave, and I get some tasty stuff done in the little white cube.

I have a sister-in-law that thinks that microwaves poison the food !!!

13. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Heeey - what goes on ?

at http://www.nuwaveoven.com its 3 easy payments of $33

In australia at http://newstyledirect.com.au/White-Nuwave-Pro-Oven its $300

One complaint here
    http://nuwave-oven.pissedconsumer.com/nuwave-oven-scam-20120424314432.html

" I followed the instructions to the T and the steaks came out dry and tastless ...."

and

"The shipping handling for Nu-Wave oven is a ripoff. $90 for a $150 oven,and the $90 is non-refundable."

A reall enthusiast here
    http://www.setpointnortheast.org.uk/nuwave-oven-scam-is-the-nuwwave-oven-a-scam

Mixed results here
    http://www.complaintsboard.com/?search=nuwave oven
    "This is our second NuWave oven. They cook great, but the plastic in the power head melts, preventing the fan from turning."

14. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Maybe there is only one type available in Australia,but there are a few different brands on sale here.

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If your getting tasteless and unhealthy food out of a micro wave then it was tasteless and unhealthy when it went in.

I micro wave is the best way to cook delicate food like fish and many other things. A device misunderstood by many.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.