Transom removal

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by irv, Dec 29, 2010.

1. irv

irv Junior Member

Hi everyone, 15 years ago I installed a new transom and stringers in my 24 Ft fiberform. Did an excellent job of laminating transom between layers, connecting it to the sides and stringers, etc, I think. Now, I have to remove it. Its not rotten like last time. The only way I know is to use a high speed sander with 16 grit aluminum-oxide and grind it away using a carbide grinder in the corners. Is this the correct way or is there a trick out there used by people in the know. Cutting back stringers but have read threads for hours on that and going to butt new ones to the existing with epoxy and use side splices epoxied and bolted (going by previous work I have seen here). Any new or good ideas or suggestions to help me do this right will be greatly appreciated.
    P.S. 11 year old grandson answered my question just now I think, said "just cut it out and glue in new stuff", wish I still Knew It All.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are you saying the wood and laminate are in good condition but you want to remove them?

3. irv

irv Junior Member

Hi there, the outdrive I'm putting on requires a full strength transom. By the way thanks for talking me out of puttin on the outboards. I think I'll be very happy with the Konard outdrive. This was simply a stiffener for the back end. Big hole in the middle. Am i correct that basicly grinding it out with a high speed sander is the best way. As I recall, really didn't take that long to do. I also do not trust the lamination of it. Plan on assembling this out of the boat each piece pressurized and install in the boat as one piece mating it to the stringers and sides of the boat. It needs to go from bottom to close to top to even be able to mount kicker. Following what the company did I cut it out around the stringers, which don't even tie into it at this time and it stops well before the top. Thought about ways to jeery rig it but, have so much work of this type to do, figured just do it right.